PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Shield Strike 10 after last skill patch?

SelenisAaargh
August 20th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I wonder if shieldstrike 10 would work against LOC and ET mobs now (because shieldstrike 1 does not).
Did anyone try that yet?

VeridianATA
August 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM
It didn't really do much when I had it elsewhere 3yrs ago, and I had it to 10, I'd have to say its not worth the effort of changing it over, but after a certain point if you've got no other place to put points, thats as good as any. Also if memory serves, it doesn't increase the time of the stun by much, it just increased the damage of the shield's hit, which again isn't formidable enough to make a big dif to the LOC and ET mobs...

But then that was a long time ago, who knows what they've changed about it...

SelenisAaargh
August 21st, 2010, 04:00 AM
the point is not the damage or stun time.

my hope is that maybe they changed the skill now so that a higher lvl might actually stun LOC or ET mobs now which would be really really usefull, and if only for a second.

VeridianATA
August 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Oh, no argument there, that would be nice and useful, for sure. :) I think it would stun way back when, but not for long enough that it made a difference to me, or else I would have remembered it better, lol.

Viseris
August 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not certain of the effects of Shield strike past level 3 after the patch. I got level 3 to go for a pseudo-bless castle build, and was testing the damage in there. Again, not much of an increase, but I'm sure you could stun-lock someone to death if it was level 10 and you burned 50 mana pots. About the stun duration, didn't notice any increases, and I doubt it would make a difference in stun times, but who knows.

I was thinking that higher mobs absorbed all the damage and thus, they received 0 damage from the strike and did not get stunned as a result. So my theory was that increasing the levels of shield strike (which increases the damage) would supersede the absorb of higher mobs, resulting in them getting stunned.

Another theory of mine was with high level frost javelin, which is yet another ata skill that wasn't really tested after the suba skills update in march. Specifically, I mean that the freeze modifier went from 4% at level 1 to 7% at level 1. People claim that frost does not effect things in Ice and higher maps...well for one, nearly everything in ice map has ice resistance, so there is little effect.

For LOC and above...well I thought that increasing frost jav to high levels (Level 5+ aka a modifier over 10% on the freeze) would have a greater effect and actually slow them down. Unfortunately, I have yet to test this in LOC, so I am rather curious. Since 95% of ata's don't put points into frost, they are basing frost ineffectiveness on its level 1 status, which may or may not be a deal breaker. 7% freeze compared to 10 or 11% (level 5) is a huge difference in bless castle at least. I wouldn't know what to do if I got hit with a level 10 frost javelin lol...(16% slowdown) I would probably be dead in my tracks...and as far as its effectiveness in LOC and higher maps after the boost...I don't believe this has been throughly tested (at high levels of frost).

Nnoitra
August 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Riam has 10 frost and i never saw it work in loc and higher when i was in party with her/him/it

Viseris
August 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
About frost jav, you are probably correct that there is little to no effect against LOC+ mobs despite what level its at, however I'm sure the damage boost (regular attacks) still applies. 40-60 at level 1 and, 58-96 at level 10.

In regards to raising frost jav...its probably not a good idea, given its ineffectiveness in LOC. X-rage is the better option for 3rd EP skill given its range (area attack) and for sodding. But it really depends. Frost jav is an incredible defense in bless castle, so if you PVP a lot, it gives you an alternate route to play around with. Frost is better for grinding long periods with limited mana.

Regardless, using shield strike for its "pushback" effect still makes it a viable "defense" skill. For instance, if one ata spams shield strike, and you are taking on a tougher mob, the rest of the party can pretty much gang up on it, unharmed.

SelenisAaargh
August 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
Meh... X-Rage is completely useless as all area attacks are in 9x areas. For SOD i still have Storm but i barely go there.
Havent used storm since i went past 95 lol except once.

Everyone who invests a single EP in x-rage or frost jav before HOV and VEN are maxed risks seriously nerfing his ata!

Frost is really a pity :( well at least i was able to freeze Fury with it and i will invest in it If i ever go to 104 or higher.

Hmmmmmmmm i think i will try and just reskill my ata to shield strike, throwing mastery, windy and TOV 10 soon.
Im only interested in the possible stun effect for solo hunts in ET. In LOC no stunning is necessary since im only training there in big parties and usually with VL ----> i can tank up to 4 LOC mobs with some concentration.

Ill report here once i know more ^^

BTW ET mobs dont get thrown back from shieldstrike 1, only a crit makes them flinch a little.
Shield strike is awesome in BC! It messes up attackers fight rhythm and is best as assist to help others kill faster.
You cant lock anyone with it however because even if youre stunned you can use pots. But thats not necessary anyway.
I once managed to keep 3 10x fighters/pikes stunned for 30 seconds when i was only 97 for example, or one singular distortion spamming mage for 10+ minutes :P .

@ viseris:
In my experience you cannot use the description text on any PT skill to evaluate its effectivity. Everything in this game has to be tested, nothing is predictable because its basicly a barely holding collection of glitches and bugs! The last acceptable code was written before yadang got their useless fingers on it!

Chislev
August 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I am reading this thread with much interest. In one of my atas i am raising shield strike but it still not maxed (6 atm) and all i can say is that you can actually "see" the stronger punch, but this ata is still pretty much far away from the sensitive areas of the game. One thing i can already tell: this skill is definitelly not viable to use as a primary attack, the mana/stm use is massive, but so far i like it.

Splim000
August 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I think the only thing frost jav works on above ice is temple guard, witch is helpful.
Stun is used in et to lure or breakup larger mobs.
I always thought stun not working in loc was the abs thing to.
But abs dose not seem to make much of a differences when a Chimera is stunning you.

SelenisAaargh
August 24th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Um guys?
I never intended shield strike 10 to use as an attack.
Who would even think about that?
i think i did emphasize that i hope to STUN(!) ET Mobs with it as lvl 1 doesn't have any effect.
i could care less about the damage, it could be 0 for all i care.

About the theory if the skill damage has to go through for the skill to work:
As far i know MOB damage works different than ours.
Mob absorb is a relative value rather than absolute for us, so even a lvl 1 shieldstrike does some damage excpet it so little, it wont show up.

In many responses here i read something about that damage.... wth lol maybe i should have written as my first sentence:

I DONT CARE ABOUT DAMAGE OF SHIELDSTRIKE!

Alright new theory:
it has something to do with lvl difference to target.
Does anyone have an ata lvl > 105, who could tell if it starts to work then?

OdDeSeY
September 21st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Ice javelin and ground pike doesn't effect E.T. mobs my theory is that is mobs was modified or there is a bug for example

during PTP the Dead king hopy can be Freeze by using Ground pike and Ice javelin

and also the mobs in LOC up 2 ET 2 can be stunned by lvl 1 shield strike but no damage... but now It will never happened i guess...

try the soul sucker it is worth the excess skill points...

SelenisAaargh
September 22nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
try beeing on topic in a thread.

frost jav is not of interest because it does not stack with vengeance -> useless

shieldstrike is a strategic skill and very usefull especially against tough mobs

soulsucker is bulls.hit. too many restrictions useless against bosses, why bother? did you ever play an ata or are you just quoting narratives?

Ice javelin and ground pike doesn't effect E.T. mobs my theory is that is mobs was modified or there is a bug for example

during PTP the Dead king hopy can be Freeze by using Ground pike and Ice javelin

and also the mobs in LOC up 2 ET 2 can be stunned by lvl 1 shield strike but no damage... but now It will never happened i guess...

try the soul sucker it is worth the excess skill points...

SelenisAaargh
November 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
well for all who may be interested:
shieldstrike 10 is fail -.-
also confirmed again that frost jav does not stack with vengeance and frost jav 10 also does not freeze loc+ mobs...

Nnoitra
November 13th, 2010, 05:16 AM
well for all who may be interested:
shieldstrike 10 is fail -.-
also confirmed again that frost jav does not stack with vengeance and frost jav 10 also does not freeze loc+ mobs...

Your time and gold spend is once again appreciated

Chislev
November 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Thnak you for the testing :) now we have confirmed that we are (once again) screwed >_<

How i wish i could say "i told you so" to those who fought me back in the days when figons were introduced to the game and SS was useless against them, i remember i said "it starts with one mob, some day the skill will be completely useless" and i was flammed worse than being in a figons party being held in hell lol... This is one of those time when i feel sad for not being wrong.

About frost javelin, i was pretty sure it was already usleess in ice1 and above.

SelenisAaargh
November 13th, 2010, 02:34 PM
well i had hope :/

shield strike seems to be lvl dependant though.
i can stun certain LOC and ET mobs with low chance for a short time at lvl 102.
but that already at lvl 1 and 10 doesnt make any difference.

on the bright side:
i confirmed that vengeance 10 really does add 100% damage even though it does not say that in the description.
i compared it to both twist jav 10 and split jav 10.
so yea, there really are not many reasonable ata builds around.

SelenisAaargh
November 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Thnak you for the testing :) now we have confirmed that we are (once again) screwed >_<

How i wish i could say "i told you so" to those who fought me back in the days when figons were introduced to the game and SS was useless against them, i remember i said "it starts with one mob, some day the skill will be completely useless" and i was flammed worse than being in a figons party being held in hell lol... This is one of those time when i feel sad for not being wrong.

About frost javelin, i was pretty sure it was already usleess in ice1 and above.

I hear you :)
but TBH i kinda like playing a char which is by design weaker but in the end, with LOTS of effort can eventually compete with everyone else :)
its like an extra motivation to show it to everyone ^^
that was always the reason why i stuck to ata and gathered other ata players around me!

@Nnoitra: thanks for your kind words :)

Chislev
November 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
hehe when atas used to be "the weakest and most useless character in game" was when i immediately knew it was the character for me, usually the so called "weakest most useless" char in everygame is not really that, it is just that it requires 1/64th of a neuron in your brain to play it and it happens to always be a character which will fill you with fun and satisfaction, and i believe that describes perfectly an atalanta :) and i don't know, btu maybe it it's flaws what gives the characer a huge potential for countless different builds and ways to have fun, screwed in repeated oportunities or not, atas are my favorite class above all, only followed by archers nut not too close ;)