PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls Worth Buying?

Jamie9d
April 13th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know is Dark Souls worth playing? The PC release is almost out and I've heard some really positive and really negative things about the game. Has anyone played The first Dark Souls or Demon Souls, or the new Dark Souls 2 and what are your opinions on it?

RedBeam
April 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know is Dark Souls worth playing? The PC release is almost out and I've heard some really positive and really negative things about the game. Has anyone played The first Dark Souls or Demon Souls, or the new Dark Souls 2 and what are your opinions on it?

I've played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls II. When people tell you they're some of the most difficult games around, it's somewhat true and untrue. Let me explain what I mean. The games aren't difficult to get started with, unless you start with the Depraved class. The Depraved class literally starts the game off naked, and with no stats whatsoever.

In Dark Souls, the game's difficulty comes from the need to strategize everything. You get 1 skill point every time you spend X amount of souls. Souls are collected by killing enemies. The cost to level up increases every level. You need to carefully think about how you allocate those precious points, because Dark Souls and Dark Souls II are fundamentally UNFORGIVING. There is a reason why they called their Deluxe Edition the "Prepare to Die" edition. You will die in these games. It's simply how the game teaches you what you're doing wrong. You have a stamina bar, and each time you swing your sword, you get tired. If you run out of stamina after 3 or 4 swings, you can't really defend yourself and thus you leave yourself open to attack and you get killed. Try a different approach. Have a mage on an alcove above you and it keeps frying your ass with lightning? Don't try flanking him. He'll have bodyguards. Instead, try a bow and arrow. Die, learn, adapt.

Some people would say Dark Souls is unfair. I can certainly see where they come from. One of the first bosses you encounter is a fire-breathing dragon. It tells you nothing about how to kill it, or even avoid it. You need to figure these things out on your own. This is where that difficulty comes in again. There is very little hand-holding in these games, which is why some enjoy it so much. And I agree with them. It is incredibly satisfying to pound the crap out of that boss after he's killed you 1,000,000 times.

Is it worth buying? Absolutely, but only if you enjoy a challenge. If you're looking for an experience, say like Elder Scrolls, then you'll end up disappointed and frustrated. If you enjoy learning from your mistakes and eventually emerging from a hellish dungeon victorious, then you'll most certainly get your money's worth.

Jamie9d
April 14th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Thank you for the reply. I don't like simple rpg's and I've played a lot of them from Fable, Elder Scrolls, Oblivion, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc... I want something with a real challenge and what you described sounds like the perfect challenge for me. Is it worth playing the first Dark Souls before the second one?

RedBeam
April 15th, 2014, 01:05 AM
Thank you for the reply. I don't like simple rpg's and I've played a lot of them from Fable, Elder Scrolls, Oblivion, Witcher, Dragon Age, etc... I want something with a real challenge and what you described sounds like the perfect challenge for me. Is it worth playing the first Dark Souls before the second one?

They take place in the same world, but the stories aren't connected to each other.

They play almost exactly the same, except for one important aspect: Farming souls is no longer possible in Dark Souls II. In the first Dark Souls game, if you found that you couldn't defeat a particular boss, a sound strategy would be to farm souls in order to beef up your character until you could beat that said boss. Dark Souls II removes that mechanic for the most part. For that reason, it's my opinion that Dark Souls 1 is a tad easier than Dark Souls 2, and I would therefore recommend starting with the first game in order to get used to the experience and difficulty level. After you master Dark Souls 1, you'll know everything you need to know to go about how to play the second. Just don't expect to waltz into DS2 and expect to win every fight. There is plenty of content in DS2 to challenge any veteran of DS1.

Jamie9d
April 15th, 2014, 01:38 AM
I began playing Dark Souls about 15 minutes ago and I had to use four Estus Flasks to kill the Asylum Demon. The story seems quite interesting so far and I've just been taken away from the Undead Asylum into Lordan. I tried to kill the npc there but he absolutely dessicated me so I had to restart from the beginning. I'm really enjoying the game play and the combat mechanics are like nothing I've used in any game before.

I need to read up on the attributes for my character to learn how I want to build my character. Have you done a play through with a Deprived yet?

RedBeam
April 15th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Have you done a play through with a Deprived yet?

Nah, and I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin with that class. It's good if you want total freedom and control over how you build your stats, but if I role melee I find a Warrior or Swordsman build suits me just fine. I haven't tried playing serious as a mage, since spellcasting seems too tedious for me.

Jamie9d
April 15th, 2014, 02:40 AM
Nah, and I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin with that class. It's good if you want total freedom and control over how you build your stats, but if I role melee I find a Warrior or Swordsman build suits me just fine. I haven't tried playing serious as a mage, since spellcasting seems too tedious for me.

The class looks like you would be absolutely crushed in seconds, might be fun for hardcore ds1 veterans. Would the mage spells/arrows be automatically targeted or do you have to aim and fire them yourself? Any tips for my first play through as a commoner?

RagingAsura
April 15th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Sorry offtopic but....Why are we discussing non 9D game in 9D's general discussion anyway?

SeanHlandeFar2o
April 16th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Short answer... HELL YES you should buy these games.

the Souls series are my favorite games of all time.

Buy them. Enjoy them. Hate them. Thank me later.