PDA

View Full Version : Dev-Publisher interactions?

FireaArt
December 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I've been lurking around the general suba forums and I've found that most of the time, if a game is having serious problems on a wide scale, it's due to the developer not giving proper attention to Suba's game.

What I'd like to know is how well Softstar (DOMO's dev) is communicating and keeping up to date with Suba. Are they communicating a lot? A little? Are the dev's working easily with Suba or are there complications that are hindering/may have hindered progress?

I just want to know what to expect so I can adjust my expectations accordingly. I'm very excited to play the game and if Softstar is gonna be skimping on things I'd like to know, if only so I don't mis-blame Suba.

Oxycore
December 29th, 2014, 11:02 AM
This is a chart that was made to describe the same relationship between Trion World, Inc (NA publisher of Archeage) and XL Games (developer of Archeage).

While the specifics may not apply completely to the relationship between Subagames and Softstar, the general concept is still the same.

http://i.imgur.com/pt3Zw11l.png (http://i.imgur.com/pt3Zw11.png)
(click for larger image)

Ghirahim
December 29th, 2014, 11:29 AM
They might not (be able to) disclose anything about this, but I hope they do.
Lack of support for the Suba version from Softstar could kill it early on.

ArabPikachu
December 29th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I think Suba has to sign a contract with soft star. And I guess depending on how confident subagames is with domo, that would determine the longevity of the contract.

DOMOAKFrost
December 29th, 2014, 02:21 PM
It heavily depends on suba.

The softstar I knew frequently sent patch notes in chinese, made random game changes without telling us, and pretended to not understand their own game to get out of doing work.

Aeria was too passive with them, tbh, and I hope suba drives a harder bargain.

Ghirahim
December 29th, 2014, 02:35 PM
It heavily depends on suba.

The softstar I knew frequently sent patch notes in chinese, made random game changes without telling us, and pretended to not understand their own game to get out of doing work.

Aeria was too passive with them, tbh, and I hope suba drives a harder bargain.

Are you sure they were "pretending" to not understand the game or genuinely don't entirely? The game was released years ago, they might not have many staff there who worked on the game originally.
Annoying either way, though.

DOMOAKFrost
December 29th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Are you sure they were "pretending" to not understand the game or genuinely don't entirely? The game was released years ago, they might not have many staff there who worked on the game originally.
Annoying either way, though.

I'd say it's far worse to have people who don't know the game working on it than people just pretending not to know.

ZenDragoon
December 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Usually communication between publishers and developers are rather thin. The things to factor in with how long we must wait for action or a response are things such as language barriers; how busy they are with their projects (It's crazy how busy the developers can get); how minor or major the issue we raise to them; how long it takes for them to code, test, and implement; and with most cases, having to clarify things if things are not very clear.

Much to our delight, the communication we have with Softstar is better than what we were expecting initially. We are also very happy about the relationship we've been cultivating with the developer and we feel this bodes great things to come for DOMO's future after it releases.

ArabPikachu
December 30th, 2014, 04:44 PM
Usually communication between publishers and developers are rather thin. The things to factor in with how long we must wait for action or a response are things such as language barriers; how busy they are with their projects (It's crazy how busy the developers can get); how minor or major the issue we raise to them; how long it takes for them to code, test, and implement; and with most cases, having to clarify things if things are not very clear.

Much to our delight, the communication we have with Softstar is better than what we were expecting initially. We are also very happy about the relationship we've been cultivating with the developer and we feel this bodes great things to come for DOMO's future after it releases.

Whats your job in releasing domo again?

Oxycore
December 30th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Whats your job in releasing domo again?

Making sure nothing blows up.

Xiaoming001
December 31st, 2014, 03:25 AM
I have always been wondering about the factors influencing DOMO success. So much game company had bought the game before Suba but why do they end up biting the dust?

LadyOkamia
December 31st, 2014, 03:54 AM

That makes me feel good about spending money and time into Domo.

TheRealTangerine
December 31st, 2014, 05:32 AM

Hmm...just keep an eye on them! I'm sure they were good at first with GT/Aeria...but once they'e got your money, they prolly slack :P

DeikaBabe
December 31st, 2014, 11:46 PM
Making sure nothing blows up.

This is MY job. I see to all the incendiary devices. Please don't let Zen steal my job :'(

Good to know that Softstar is holding up their end. I hope we have a contract that incentivizes softstar to keep the game going.
I think from the comments from a game that hasn't even started, the financial aspect seems taken care of :-)

Seriously thought, I'm SUPER excited
https://31.media.tumblr.com/7a5e28e65ae8367e5f5d0076d87c16e2/tumblr_inline_ne1gfbPS3g1qfebv9.gif

Kitababie
January 1st, 2015, 02:35 PM
Good to know that Softstar is holding up their end.
All we can do is hope that Softstar keeps doing their job, instead of their usual slacking.

I think from the comments from a game that hasn't even started, the financial aspect seems taken care of :-)
Yup. My paychecks --> DoMO LOL