PDA

View Full Version : Beta Question

HippieGoddess
January 3rd, 2015, 10:35 AM
I've never before been part of a game where it goes into CB then OB then launch. I understand closed beta, you find the bugs, player information is deleted after. But what about Open Beta? What happens after open beta is over and the game is launched? What is the purpose of Open Beta?

"You'll never learn if you never ask."

GairoKun
January 3rd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Closed beta is to let a larger (but still limited limited (mostly)) amount of people try the game, to possibly find bugs that the small amount of bugtesters cant find. It can also be used to stress test servers and to optimize everything and get ready for Open beta.

Then everything is wiped, they fix the bugs as much as they can, and then start the Open Beta.

F2P MMOs never really leave open beta. If the game were to be released, it'd be considered "complete", and probably not recieve as many patches as before, at least not for the same reasons. I've never heard of any F2P MMO going from open beta to release, but I've never looked for it either.

HippieGoddess
January 3rd, 2015, 10:59 AM
Closed beta is to let a larger (but still limited limited (mostly)) amount of people try the game, to possibly find bugs that the small amount of bugtesters cant find. It can also be used to stress test servers and to optimize everything and get ready for Open beta.

Then everything is wiped, they fix the bugs as much as they can, and then start the Open Beta.

F2P MMOs never really leave open beta. If the game were to be released, it'd be considered "complete", and probably not recieve as many patches as before, at least not for the same reasons. I've never heard of any F2P MMO going from open beta to release, but I've never looked for it either.

Thank you very much. Always learning something new ^.^

Kitababie
January 3rd, 2015, 12:09 PM

^ Yeah. Basically, Open Beta is the actual game (the "Released" version). If OB is "closed," the game is canceled/shut down... as many of us have experienced with the old DoMO. Q_Q

LittleRose
January 3rd, 2015, 01:36 PM
In addition, some publishers see the release of the item mall as the game going live and the end of the testing phase of open beta.

Gigglypuff1313
January 3rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Open Beta is considered Open Beta because the game will still have updates over time and further patches to fix any bugs that might show up after Closed Beta. CB is there to try to find and clear up bugs but there's always the chance that some bugs aren't found/reported in CB until after the fact, requiring further patch updates to fix them upon discovery. A game never really leaves Open Beta unless there is no further changes/additions being made to it and it is meant to be left as is in a perpetual, complete state. Hope that helps to answer your question :-)