PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a guides section?

Kirbychu
February 7th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Our forum is so tiny compared to some of the others on here - we only have 4 sub-forums and none of them are for guides and new player help. Yes most of us are returning players, but there are still going to be new players who may be looking for help. I think it would be easier if all of the guides could be in one place so they're not cluttering up the "General" sub-forum. I'd like to ask that we get our own guides/new player help sub-forum so there is a place for us veterans to share our knowledge with the new players without it getting sandwiched between posts of randomness and shenanigans. I already have 3 guides ready to post, but I'd like to wait and see if we can get this before CB starts if possible.

Pookas
February 7th, 2015, 04:30 AM
There's one place for that called wiki (http://domo.wikia.com/wiki/Domo_Wiki).
Don't forget that you could contribute to the wiki if you find something missing or have some interesting guide.

GraceySells
February 7th, 2015, 04:39 AM
The rest of the sub-forums will come soon.
It's because the game isn't in beta yet that we are limited to four boards for now. Once the game is up, forums will expand and we will likely see many of the boards the other games have.

Fanonymous
February 7th, 2015, 04:46 AM
They already have guide, but in wikia Domo Wika (http://domo.wikia.com/wiki/Domo_Wiki) this guide was bound in guide section in domo main web Domo Main Web (http://domo.subagames.com/)

Kirbychu
February 7th, 2015, 05:04 AM
There's one place for that called wiki (http://domo.wikia.com/wiki/Domo_Wiki).
Don't forget that you could contribute to the wiki if you find something missing or have some interesting guide.

The wiki isn't a place for guides. Guides are basically opinions and player experiences and not 100% facts most of the time, and the wiki is a place for facts. When people look for guides they don't look on the wiki they look on the forums (of whatever game it is they are playing). But I'm glad that eventually we will have a section for them. I was planning on waiting until beta started to post mine anyway so this works. Thanks for the reply GraceySells :)

Divini
February 7th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I agree, wiki's are for facts, data, and very general advice. (i.e. Recommending a party instead of solo to take down a boss from a quest)

Guides are analysis based more on the author's opinion. For example, posting their own class builds or leveling advice.

Some things can belong in both, but there is a distinct difference between the two.

NotHereCantDelete
February 7th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Yeah, wiki isn't really the place for guides in my opinion, 'cos there are so many different builds depending on play-style etc... If wiki had ALL the guides / builds, it'd be flooded with them. I prefer wiki to be just for the facts rather than having to sift through peoples opinions too.
Like Gracey said there will be more sub forums when the game actually starts up so I wouldn't worry too much c:

Pookas
February 8th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Ah, my bad then.
Discussion about the guide is still needed, and that's what forum for.
And you can still give the thread's link to the wiki.

DoMO player search guides in wiki > find the link to the guide at this forum > know this forum (domo on subagames) > read the guide & discussion.
And maybe more (IC) players will get to move to suba when they're seeing the community.
Or at least it could improve the SEO from google to point to this forum for DoMO-related guides.

Not all people will look at this forum to search the guide. They usually will first search the google, and the wiki is usually in the top 5 results.
Just my 2 cents.

Syrge
February 8th, 2015, 03:52 PM
You're gonna have a fun time editing guides here, since Suba won't let you edit posts after a few minutes.
(they apparently don't see the problem here...)

DOMOAKFrost
February 8th, 2015, 03:53 PM
You're gonna have a fun time editing guides here, since Suba won't let you edit posts after a few minutes.
(they apparently don't see the problem here...)

It solves a different set of problems.

Syrge
February 8th, 2015, 03:57 PM
It solves a different set of problems.

Care to bring up any of those problems? Because if we are thinking of the same issues, I don't see it.

DOMOAKFrost
February 8th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Care to bring up any of those problems? Because if we are thinking of the same issues, I don't see it.

If you noticed, this board has a "likes" system.

If somebody were to edit a widely-liked post into something hateful (maybe down the line they changed their attitude about the game), until it gets noticed by a staff member, it'll be a hate-post with a ton of likes, which is not good for PR.

Syrge
February 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM
If you noticed, this board has a "likes" system.

If somebody were to edit a widely-liked post into something hateful (maybe down the line they changed their attitude about the game), until it gets noticed by a staff member, it'll be a hate-post with a ton of likes, which is not good for PR.

Sorry but which makes more sense to have to do in the long run:
a) Begging a mod to change your post every time you want to make a new addition (because you forgot or because of a content update)
b) Telling a mod to take care of a hate-post

DOMOAKFrost
February 8th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Sorry but which makes more sense to have to do in the long run:
a) Begging a mod to change your post every time you want to make a new addition (because you forgot or because of a content update)
b) Telling a mod to take care of a hate-post

a) Make a new thread.
b) If you don't notice it but suba's competitors do....

Fanonymous
February 8th, 2015, 10:02 PM
soon after the game started it should be more forum about guide

Kirbychu
February 8th, 2015, 10:54 PM
a) Make a new thread.
b) If you don't notice it but suba's competitors do....

Having to make an entirely new thread just to edit a few things is just a waste. It not only clogs up the forums with dead threads, but it makes it so all conversations on those threads have to start over. Yea the forum mods can just delete the old threads, but why create more work for them in the long run? Just let us edit our posts whenever...and no one cares if there's a "hateful" edited post with a bunch of likes on it...and who would do that anyway besides trolls? So just ban the trolls and delete the thread - problem solved. That ONE instance you described is literally the ONLY reason I can see to disable editing after a few minutes. Name another viable reason...there really isn't one. And that one reason isn't enough (in my opinion) to disable editing. We have forum moderators that can solve that issue and it's no more work for them than they are already doing. And what are the odds a competing game publishing company is stalking Suba's forums? Not very likely.

DOMOAKFrost
February 8th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Having to make an entirely new thread just to edit a few things is just a waste. It not only clogs up the forums with dead threads, but it makes it so all conversations on those threads have to start over. Yea the forum mods can just delete the old threads, but why create more work for them in the long run? Just let us edit our posts whenever...and no one cares if there's a "hateful" edited post with a bunch of likes on it...and who would do that anyway besides trolls? So just ban the trolls and delete the thread - problem solved. That ONE instance you described is literally the ONLY reason I can see to disable editing after a few minutes. Name another viable reason...there really isn't one. And that one reason isn't enough (in my opinion) to disable editing. We have forum moderators that can solve that issue and it's no more work for them than they are already doing. And what are the odds a competing game publishing company is stalking Suba's forums? Not very likely.

1. Proofread before you post then.

2. Their competitor's players will do the "stalking" for them.

3. I don't know why you're complaining to me, I didn't make this rule and I can't change this rule.

Minoru101
February 9th, 2015, 05:19 AM
As said above, totally agree with a section for "guides". Guess it will take time :x ... Also have guide myself to post, and tbh, i'm really excited to post it and see how it turns out haha

Ghirahim
February 9th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I know this isn't really the point of this thread, but I don't see a big problem in being able to edit posts later, I've never seen such problems on other forums that allow this, it seems unlikely.
Maybe a troll would do that, but that would be easily fixed by putting a post-count limit on the feature, or even removing likes when a post is edited.

Xaytsr
February 9th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I hope there is a guides section later.....

On the topic of editing posts.... The whole hateful post thing can be avoided by resetting the likes when a post is edited....

But more importantly we can't edit posts and suba seems unlikely to change that just for us.....

Z0mb3h
February 9th, 2015, 11:05 AM
1. Proofread before you post then.

2. Their competitor's players will do the "stalking" for them.

3. I don't know why you're complaining to me, I didn't make this rule and I can't change this rule.

Proofreading doesn't solve adding in new content to a guide. And I also believe the complaining and reply has to do with not the fact you set the rule, but that you're discussing it and debating.

But I completely agree with what's been said in favor of having posts being edited later. The resetting likes once a thread has been edited is a good idea ouo

DOMOAKFrost
February 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Proofreading doesn't solve adding in new content to a guide. And I also believe the complaining and reply has to do with not the fact you set the rule, but that you're discussing it and debating.

But I completely agree with what's been said in favor of having posts being edited later. The resetting likes once a thread has been edited is a good idea ouo

the question I was answering was why would somebody make a edit time limit, which is more work than allowing edits at all times.

Honestly, I don't know if that's the design rationale, and since I'm pretty sure suba didn't develop this forum software, I'm not sure if suba even had a consideration for it.

as for guides, I'm of the opinion that substantially updated guides should have its own thread to prevent discontinuities in reasoning. Frequently when I read older guides there are gaps due to the game having changed since the guide came out and the info being no longer valid.

but I only post guides on my own website, so you guys can do whatever.

Kirbychu
February 9th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I may decide to just post my guides on my blog as well. Not being able to edit after a while really grates my cheese...

Z0mb3h
February 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I may decide to just post my guides on my blog as well. Not being able to edit after a while really grates my cheese...

I already started on our guild site with mine, so ditto here.