PDA

View Full Version : How will the huge initial population affect our gameplay?

ArabPikachu
February 11th, 2015, 09:41 AM
Everyone is excited about the relaunch of Domo. We have new players and old players. I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of people will be waiting at the log in screen to start playing at the launch date. I have a little concern of how this is going to affect gameplay. Hiw will it affect the connection and lag of the game? Won't the training places like ever sun well and initial training spots be jam packed to the point where it's impossible to train and collect items? How did aeros games handle this during they're closed beta? Was there as much hype about Domo during that time? How was the first log in experience in aeros games lag wise and being able to train and get things done with over populated maps.

KiyomiHime
February 11th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Everyone is excited about the relaunch of Domo. We have new players and old players. I wouldn't be surprised if thousands of people will be waiting at the log in screen to start playing at the launch date. I have a little concern of how this is going to affect gameplay. Hiw will it affect the connection and lag of the game? Won't the training places like ever sun well and initial training spots be jam packed to the point where it's impossible to train and collect items? How did aeros games handle this during they're closed beta? Was there as much hype about Domo during that time? How was the first log in experience in aeros games lag wise and being able to train and get things done with over populated maps.

idk but i be stalking them forums tell can download and play lol XD idk cuss i never got to play CB of DOMo before but i love the game alot

PrinceMarcusX
February 11th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Latency issue will be possible. btw anyone knows where the server is physically located? im really concerned about the lag.

Hechizera
February 11th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I believe that they are controlling the amount of Beta keys they are giving away to prevent what you are concerned about. I think it will all be fine.

Icywind1980
February 11th, 2015, 10:58 AM
I believe that they are controlling the amount of Beta keys they are giving away to prevent what you are concerned about. I think it will all be fine.

Control as in releasing 10,000 beta keys at Alienware alone? Plus however many were released at the other sites.

Succubusty
February 11th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Latency issue will be possible. btw anyone knows where the server is physically located? im really concerned about the lag.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's gotta be somewhere on the east coast, since the times that they've given us for everything so far has been in EST. Their main company, Wicked Interactive LLC, is located in Toronto, Canada.
I'm almost positive that's where they're based, but I'm not sure if their actual physical server might be somewhere else. I'm also curious about this.

Shazaki
February 11th, 2015, 11:17 AM
their servers should be fine for all of aamerica, im not sure about other countries considering ag domo had mostly american players, it shouldnt be any different from any other mmo with servers based in the states or surrounding country canada etc. latency shouldnt be too big of a problem once they adjust their servers to the amount of people that will be playing, thats my take on the matter

Hechizera
February 11th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Control as in releasing 10,000 beta keys at Alienware alone? Plus however many were released at the other sites.

I am guessing they are ready for that type of stress if they are releasing that many keys. It would be counter productive for them to deal with lags and log in issues during initial release of Close Beta. Anyways, it is just my opinion.

ZuToDoRiToKa
February 11th, 2015, 12:09 PM
I have though of the same thing as you but not in the thousand's, but in the ten thousands packed in 1 single spot

Divini
February 11th, 2015, 12:34 PM
For beta Suba will want to get peak numbers of people when possible. An important part of CBT and OBT is to stress test the servers.

CrossbreedPriscilla
February 11th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I don't know fighting for leveling spots sounds fun to me lol

Hechizera
February 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I don't know fighting for leveling spots sounds fun to me lol

You can expect to do a lot of that :)

Birchtree
February 11th, 2015, 05:23 PM
From experience with several game launches/beta tests, including the most recent Warlord of Draenor launch, I can tell you right now that the lag will be terrible. A lot of people will come to the forums to complain about the lag, how they can't even log in, how they can't move, how they got dc'd, and etc. My advice is to just chill. Go bake something for your parents or significant other for Valentines day, spend some time drawing, maybe get some homework done, and just wait till the initial stress on the servers dies down. We have three weeks to test the game and the progress we make is not permanent.

I don't want to come to the forums Friday evening and see 300 new posts "THIS GAME SUX CANT EVEN LOG IN" or "Stuck in 4 hour queue what the ****".

I will probably not even be trying to log on until Sunday afternoon. It is more important to me that this Closed Beta test is a positive experience for everyone else then I "beat everyone else" to the leveling spots or whatever.

I know that everyone else on these forums is super excited to play DOMO again and that almost no one will take my advice, but I feel very strongly that if this game is going to be a success it needs to create a positive experience for the newcomers(people that haven't played it before). Since I already played it for years before I already know that I like the game, so I'm not going to let my account take the spot of someone else that hasn't played it before.

On Friday at 2PM PST I will be going through my old DOMO screenshots, baking a Red Velvet cake for my boyfriend, and spending time drawing with my best friend until I see that the stress on the servers is manageable.

Cygsiulle
February 11th, 2015, 05:33 PM
if anything, i think we can expect a revival of evercrash city.

Ghirahim
February 11th, 2015, 05:39 PM
From experience with several game launches/beta tests, including the most recent Warlord of Draenor launch, I can tell you right now that the lag will be terrible. A lot of people will come to the forums to complain about the lag, how they can't even log in, how they can't move, how they got dc'd, and etc. My advice is to just chill. Go bake something for your parents or significant other for Valentines day, spend some time drawing, maybe get some homework done, and just wait till the initial stress on the servers dies down. We have three weeks to test the game and the progress we make is not permanent.

I don't want to come to the forums Friday evening and see 300 new posts "THIS GAME SUX CANT EVEN LOG IN" or "Stuck in 4 hour queue what the ****".

I will probably not even be trying to log on until Sunday afternoon. It is more important to me that this Closed Beta test is a positive experience for everyone else then I "beat everyone else" to the leveling spots or whatever.

I know that everyone else on these forums is super excited to play DOMO again and that almost no one will take my advice, but I feel very strongly that if this game is going to be a success it needs to create a positive experience for the newcomers(people that haven't played it before). Since I already played it for years before I already know that I like the game, so I'm not going to let my account take the spot of someone else that hasn't played it before.

On Friday at 2PM PST I will be going through my old DOMO screenshots, baking a Red Velvet cake for my boyfriend, and spending time drawing with my best friend until I see that the stress on the servers is manageable.

I don't think it'll have WoW level server stress. :P

ElectyDaltic
February 11th, 2015, 05:41 PM

The main problem if people were to take your advice, the lag fest would be delayed but would still happen. Having everyone trying to get on will (hopefully) give subagames accurate data on how much they need for the server if they under equipped after estimating off of how many beta keys were used, or if a huge spam of keys gets used friday.

Birchtree
February 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM
The main problem if people were to take your advice, the lag fest would be delayed but would still happen. Having everyone trying to get on will (hopefully) give subagames accurate data on how much they need for the server if they under equipped after estimating off of how many beta keys were used, or if a huge spam of keys gets used friday.

I don't think it would be delayed. Obviously there would be lag in popular zones(i.e. Everlag City) but if even 1/4 of the total pop decided to wait till Saturday morning to log in for the first time it would reduce the stress on the servers.

Lets say at 5PM EST 10,000 people logged on for the first time. The server would have to initialize and keep track of 10,000 people in just the starter zone. Then, within 30 minutes, there would probably be about 8,000 people running around Eversun City interacting with NPCs, trying to do quests. Within 12 hours after launch(not peak time anymore) I'd be at least half of the people will have logged off and gone to sleep. Now there are 5,000 people progressing, thinning out across the map. Some would be killing zombies while others killed batlings or even casks. Lag is now significantly better.

What if 2,000 people decided not to even bother logging on till Sunday. Now only 8,000 people are stressing the initial starting zone/character creation server. Everlag only ever has to handle probably about 5,000 people at once and within the next 30 or so hours between Friday evening and Sunday morning the population would be so spread out that it wouldn't be so hard for the server to handle everything.

OwTheEdge
February 11th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Gonna LOVE DEM ROLLBACKS

Kitababie
February 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM

I think Suba is in canada... sooo go from there? :o (and the fact they said est)

Birchtree
February 11th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Gonna LOVE DEM ROLLBACKS

Don't forget dem loading screens.

ElectyDaltic
February 11th, 2015, 06:28 PM
I don't think it would be delayed. Obviously there would be lag in popular zones(i.e. Everlag City) but if even 1/4 of the total pop decided to wait till Saturday morning to log in for the first time it would reduce the stress on the servers.

Lets say at 5PM EST 10,000 people logged on for the first time. The server would have to initialize and keep track of 10,000 people in just the starter zone. Then, within 30 minutes, there would probably be about 8,000 people running around Eversun City interacting with NPCs, trying to do quests. Within 12 hours after launch(not peak time anymore) I'd be at least half of the people will have logged off and gone to sleep. Now there are 5,000 people progressing, thinning out across the map. Some would be killing zombies while others killed batlings or even casks. Lag is now significantly better.

What if 2,000 people decided not to even bother logging on till Sunday. Now only 8,000 people are stressing the initial starting zone/character creation server. Everlag only ever has to handle probably about 5,000 people at once and within the next 30 or so hours between Friday evening and Sunday morning the population would be so spread out that it wouldn't be so hard for the server to handle everything.

forgot about the lag from creating characters

Kalasyn
February 11th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I just can't wait to experience Everlag again. <3

PrinceMarcusX
February 12th, 2015, 02:36 AM
its weird to see that a soon to launch a beta test game doesnt have a active moderator in forums... i would personally appreciate if a moderator will be able to confirm the physical location of the server. thanks

NotHereCantDelete
February 12th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Pretty sure someone's already said it'll be in Canada lol.
Having said that, I'm only a "moderator", I don't even live anywhere near where this company is located. I could ask the GMs but I imagine they're not even awake yet.

Gambachi
February 12th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Neo Eversun is about to explode!! :evil:

PrinceMarcusX
February 12th, 2015, 11:56 AM
Pretty sure someone's already said it'll be in Canada lol.
Having said that, I'm only a "moderator", I don't even live anywhere near where this company is located. I could ask the GMs but I imagine they're not even awake yet.

then i will be dropping this game as soon as i feel the lag. i wont waste my time playing a game which is literally unplayable due to lag. thanks for the reply.

ArabPikachu
February 12th, 2015, 12:04 PM
then i will be dropping this game as soon as i feel the lag. i wont waste my time playing a game which is literally unplayable due to lag. thanks for the reply.

Wow. This.
I think the community would survive better without you :)

RockinOneThreeTwo
February 12th, 2015, 12:56 PM

top kek, I can't believe you actually think this will be an actual problem. Unless you use a 56K Modem I highly doubt you have anything to worry about, stop acting so eliteist.

Oxycore
February 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
its weird to see that a soon to launch a beta test game doesnt have a active moderator in forums... i would personally appreciate if a moderator will be able to confirm the physical location of the server. thanks

You're pretty rude.

The DOMO moderators are pretty active, and it's not like the moderators really should be doing anything other than patrolling the forums for trolls and such. Everything else that moderators do is a bonus.

DOMO is a pretty old game, and even when I was playing from a server from halfway across the world (Taiwan), there wasn't that much lag to speak of.

That said, Suba is based out of EST Canada, so that's where all of their game servers will be.

Kuenu
February 12th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Oh it happens with every game that gets hyped up. THOUSANDS will come in and attempt to play at once and crash the servers.
I for one welcome this. Let's break the friggin servers and show suba that we are so happy that DOMO is back!