PDA

View Full Version : AoE Magic Dancer Build (Solo)

SassMasterKeno
March 17th, 2015, 01:26 AM
So I enjoy coming up with different builds. I was looking at dancer for my next experiment.
-A 2:1 Wis/Dex or 3 Wis dancer w/ Close combat & Spell casting subs.
-I would primarily level Foxtrot and Rumba, and also use Warning Warble.
-Since i'm not taking Agi, I was thinking about getting Equip Shield & level Fleecing Fan for defense buff.
-I should be plenty tanky, and with the regen from Fleecing (and eventually Bestial Boogie), I wouldn't need to worry about healing too much.
-Damage & MP usage could both potentially be an issue, but Control Breathing (maybe converter too) should solve the MP.
-Later on, I will probably reskill all into Different Dances and see if I can get Equip Fan to sub on something like Doctor/Muse and serve as a debuffer.

Thoughts?
-Would damage be too low for this to work?
-Would my armor get super low easily?
-Would holding off on Hypnotic Hoedown in favor of getting Ferocious Fandango be better? (I want to try without this)

Dyyn
March 17th, 2015, 01:39 AM
-Would damage be too low for this to work?

Yes.

-Would my armor get super low easily?

Your armor would deteriorate quickly due to you dying often.

The reason Dancer works with solo AOE is that it has high agi, meaning it dodges a lot of the attacks that get thrown at it. Further, the physical dances keep monsters dead. With only three AOE skills, all three of them offering paltry damage, you won't be dispatching the monsters fast enough for them to not hit you. Couple that with a complete lack of doc subs and you will not last.

SassMasterKeno
March 17th, 2015, 02:28 AM
I don't see how I would die often if they can barely damage me. I'm not going to be fighting mobs 23492938782349 levels higher than me. I wish there were a way to test numbers before doing it. Thank you.

-Btw, are you a fan of Azealia Banks?

Superstarstrike
March 17th, 2015, 02:36 AM
Well, unless you're going to add heavy armor to those equips, a shield and fleecing fan won't really be enough to keep you alive for very long. Yes, you become tankier, but remember that Dancers are naturally squishy and Dancewear doesn't provide that much defense compared to heavy armor. If we're talking about AoEing magic mobs on the other hand, that's a slightly different story.

Since you're planing to be an AoE magic Dancer, it's fine if you go Ferocious Fandango, since you are going to their reduce magic defense. Just don't put points into the Fancy one; that's purely physical.

DOMOAKFrost
March 17th, 2015, 02:44 AM
I don't see how I would die often if they can barely damage me. I'm not going to be fighting mobs 23492938782349 levels higher than me. I wish there were a way to test numbers before doing it. Thank you.

-Btw, are you a fan of Azealia Banks?

You get out of "barely damage me" territory in the 30's or so. So unless you plan on staying 20 forever, you'll probably die.

warble's DPS is purely because of its 5-second CD, and as such you'll be leaking MP like a sieve if you want to get much use out of it.

flaming foxtrot and river rumba are just all around terrible for DPS, you won't get much use out of them.

What you essentially did was take a proven concept (fan solo aoe) and tried to apply a magic spin to it. the problem is both the agi (for the evasion and CD reduction), as well as fang and phantom fang are vital for solo dancer's sustainability, something your build lacks because... I don't know? I mean, if you insist on using foxtrot and rumba despite their awful dps per skill point efficiency instead of fan fandango and fancy fang fandango, you can still use some agi in your build as well as both fangs. Fatiguing will also reduce their attack - aka the damage you take so not sure why you left it out either.

Beastial requires a heavy phy commitment to be useful. It's not a replacement for regeneration. In fact, you'd be better off just taking med treatment and IM and skip CB completely. It also pays that doctor has 0% penalty with dancer, whereas thief has 20.

Overall, I won't say your build won't work, it's just... not gonna be as effective.

SassMasterKeno
March 17th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Thank you everyone, but I have a new questions then. What is the purpose of Different Dances? Early on, the debuffs aren't worth using, especially due to long cd, and the 2 aoes are weak. Is it worth getting the two single targets after rumba & foxtrot are 5? I remember getting them years ago and thought the damage was nice. Is it even possible to pull of some sort of magic dancer?

Dyyn
March 17th, 2015, 03:07 AM
Thank you everyone, but I have a new questions then. What is the purpose of Different Dances? Early on, the debuffs aren't worth using, especially due to long cd, and the 2 aoes are weak. Is it worth getting the two single targets after rumba & foxtrot are 5? I remember getting them years ago and thought the damage was nice. Is it even possible to pull of some sort of magic dancer?

The debuffs become very useful for raids, and some people like to sub them for when you start grinding on monsters that take longer to kill (i.e. FNS and Bears)

No clue about the single targets but I would assume they're not that powerful.

DOMOAKFrost
March 17th, 2015, 03:13 AM

I've only ever used the two magic aoes to pull things. If I felt particularly lazy I'd use them to farm low-level mobs, that's about it.

Joan's Jive is actually only slightly weaker than Wizard's Secret Charm of Searing Flames, without the need of a wand or 3 scrolls. The downside (there's always a downside) is that it's only paired with Stream Spirit Shuffle, making it a tree with abysmal damage potential compared to something like, say, seasonal magic even.

Can you pull off a magic dancer? It would depend on your definition of what "pulling off" means. It'll probably never match the potential of physical fan in comparable conditions, but it can still be viable in a vaccum.

Superstarstrike
March 17th, 2015, 03:30 AM

The debuffs become extremely useful later on. The single targets are surprisingly strong, but their cooldowns leave a lot to be desired and the fact they're your only single target magic skills means you will need subs to continue doing single target magic damage.

I have attempted to pull of magic dancer several times, but I felt the need to have equip wand to be able to use wizard/shaman skills to give me more skills to spam. Assuming you decide to single-target all the way, most of the time you'll be auto attacking with Dancer without other subs anyway, so you already have problems to be addressed when it comes to both dealing enough damage within reasonable time and survivability. It can work, it's just not that easy.

Gambachi
March 17th, 2015, 07:38 AM
I used Magic Dancer skills with my pet master build back in Aeria. I was lazy like that but my Ruby didn't mind. :awsum: Would not ever dream of trying to tank with it though. I was either sitting far away or running around screaming while my Ruby nuked stuff and I debuffed.

Celisia
March 23rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Hi, was browsing the forums and just noticed this thread and figured I would chime in a little from my experience with the dancer class.

My main class back in Aeria DOMO was dancer. Its been a pretty long time so I don't remember all the exact numbers for stats and such, but I remember being skilled mostly for mixed phys/magic dps using only the single target skills. The single target skills could easily hit incredibly hard and with the 2 fandango skills(once they were leveled up some) let you have a decent sustain for your MP and a quick heal for HP in a pinch. While the single target debuffs pretty much turned monsters into paper as long as they hit (think I remember there being some weird bug with them missing and then perma missing against that target, not sure if it was ever addressed or not).

As for subbing dancer onto other classes, different dances were ok to sub onto other magic classes, but i don't think I did that too often since they used up MP kind of fast with them. However, at least for me, dancer worked fantastic as a base to sub other classes onto depending on the want/need. On raids, I would very commonly sub full doctor onto it to make for a slightly more durable healer. Could also sub witch doctor for some really heavy debuffing and side DPS. Probably my most common set-up though for just playing around or helping with quests was with Medical treatment and nature magic subbed since that would give HP/MP recovery, DoTs, and a couple extra debuffs to stack on along with some damage

I was Celisia on the Sapphire server, former leader of Headhunters guild