PDA

View Full Version : Starter's Guide: Dancer

Superstarstrike
April 2nd, 2015, 01:40 AM
"No one dances sober, unless he is insane"- Cicero

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/domo/images/4/41/Dancer.png/revision/latest?cb=20080905035551&path-prefix=en
~Intro~

Welcome! You have come here with an interest in Dancer...seemingly like over 50% of the population! In anticipation of the upcoming Dancer release, I may as well put this up. Dancers are well known for their AoE abilities and debuffs. Obviously they must be party friendly, but they can handle fairly well on their own too. Dancers can go either physical or magical. They're also rather known for being very tight on skill-points; skill progression is fast, and many skills are obtainable at early levels. Don't let that overwhelm you. Naturally they are able to equip Dancewear and Fans.

How to Get?!

You'll need 100 gold, 1 Wild Hide, and 1 Down. Get these beforehand so you can save time for later.
Talk to Busker Biff in Placid Plain. He will need you to repair Dilapidated Dancwear from his friend, Hannah the Dancer (which is the NPC for the Musician Qualificatiton quest which is pretty much similar to this, so don't get these two mixed up!). Then you'll need to go to Granny June the Seamstress in the Farm area of Placid Plain. Ask her to repair the dancewear, and she'll require you to have the list of what she needs: 1 Down and 1 Wild Hide for 100 gold. Once you get the list, give her the two items to start the repairs. You will need to wait one minute for them to be done. After she's done, return the fixed item, Glamorous Gown, to Busker Biff to have the ability to change to Dancer.

~Skills~
Fan Dancing
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww46/pokesprite/others/Fan%20Dancing_zpsioigqyaa.png
These skills are all physically based, and will require a fan.

Ferocious Fandango - AoE attack that will also lower the enemies magic defense. This is your starter skill, and it's the core AoE to have.

Flying Swallow Fandango - Single target attack. That's pretty much it. Get it if you want.

Fatiguing Fan - AoE that steals attack and grants attack speed. This has excellent synergy with Fleecing Fan. Not as recommended for wisdom-focused builds, but still a great tool to have in regardless (you still take less damage as well as the tank)

Fleecing Fan - AoE that steals defense and grants a little extra HP regeneration. Has excellent synergy with Fatiguing Fan, would recommend regardless of build.

Extractor Fan - Single target attack that lowers aggro to you. In PvP, each of the target's equipment has a chance of being removed. The PvE use of this pales in comparison to the PvP use. Does not need to be leveled up unless you're going for Sandstorm Salsa.

Fancy Ferocious Fandango - A stronger version of Ferocious Fandango, but without the magic defense debuff. If you're a magically-focused dancer, I would not recommend this as strongly. Otherwise, get this.

Flying Eagle Fandango - A stronger version of Flying Swallow Fandango.

Fang Fandango - Steals a target's HP. Good sustaining tool to have.

Phantom Fang Fandango - Steals a target's MP. Another grood sustain tool. Personally, I like this skill better.

Sandstorm Salsa - AoE attack that turns you and nearby allies invisible, therefore resetting aggro. An optional tool, only use it in emergencies.

Different Dances
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww46/pokesprite/others/Different%20Dances_zpsxr7afyw9.png
These skills are all magically based, and don't require a fan (some will at higher levels, such as the debuffs).

Flaming Foxtrot - AoE fire attack. What I love about this and River Rhumba is that they're both easily accessible and subs well with other magically-focused classes. However, both skills have relatively low damage, especially if you're going to be physically based. If this is the case, skip these skills.

River Rhumba - AoE water attack. See Flaming Foxtrot.

Soothing Shimmy - A debuff that reduces the targets attack and magic attack. If the target is not a boss, this reduces an extra amount. This, Hypnotic Hoedown, Enchanting Cha-Cha, and Trance Dance will all become very useful late-end game. Beware of leveling these skills past 5, because then you will need a Fan to use them.

Hypnotic Hoedown - A debuff that reduces the targets accuracy and evasion. If the target is not a boss, this reduces an extra amount.

Enchanting Cha-Cha - A debuff that reduces the targets defense and magic defense. If the target is not a boss, this reduces an extra amount.

Joan's Jive - Single target fire attack. This and Stream Spirit Shuffle are surprisingly powerful; comparable to a Wizard's Secret Charm of Searing Flame. If you're already skipping Flaming Foxtrot/River Rhumba, however, you don't even need to think about these.

Stream Spirit Shuffle - Single target water attack. See Joan's Jove.

Beastial Boogie - A buff that increases standing HP recovery for yourself or an ally. I find this skill inferior to Doctor's Regeneration for several reasons: Regeneration can be obtained at a much earlier level with no skill per-requisites, it lasts longer, and has a much shorter cooldown, making Boogie unreliable for party buffing but rather more for solo buffing. Even then, I'd rather have lvl 10 Regeneration + 11 Regeneration for soloing than this.

Mating Dance - A buff that increases standing MP recovery for yourself or an ally. I'd rather get this than Boogie; there are only two other skills that grant allies MP recovery: Mystic Mantra and Transfusion Tune, both of which are Musician skills. Not the strongest MP recovery out there, but it's a big help to those who don't have any.

Trance Dance - A debuff that reduces the targets magic attack, magice defense, evasion and accuracy. This skill can stack with itself multiple times. WELL THEN. Do I even need to say to get this?

Dancing Skills
http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww46/pokesprite/others/Dancing%20Skills_zpsxpm0yiwi.png
The miscellaneous skills of Dancer.

Equip Fan - Enables you to equip Fans on any job. You'll most likely have room for this and/or Equip Dancewear if you focus on only one skill tree.

Equip Dancewear - Enables you to equip Dancewear on any job. See Equip Fan.

Fan Mastery - Fan power is increased by a certain % regardless of class. Useless without Equip Fan.

Flirting Glances - Defense-ignoring damage taken is reduced by a certain %. You can take this for the extra survivability if it's really necessary.

~Recommendations~

Of course, you don't have to follow these recommendations, but these can save you some frustration later on.

Subbing
Since Dancer is one of those weird "physical or magical" classes, subs depend on how you build your Dancer. Primarily a magic-typed Dancer? Wizard/Shaman/magic Witch Doctors can work. Primarily a physical-typed Dancer? Blademaster and Thief buffs can work, although Thief may be a better sub option thanks to Premonition and Fighting Foresight. Doctor is a good sub regardless (when is it not). You will struggle with subbing physical weapons, as Dancer tends to have poor proficiency with them than with magic weapons.

Building
Again, this depends on how you build your Dancer. Physical (Fan) types should work more on Power and magical (Different) types should work more on Wisdom. Regardless of either, you may want Dexterity in your build for the magic (skill) accuracy with your AoEs up to 28; and Agility for both your cooldowns and evasion up to 103.

Pre-50 Leveling Spots

10-15: If there's space, you can literally grind on the Glob/Golden Glob group in the well until level 15. Not even kidding. I've stuck it out until 17 one time. Try not to be too reckless of the potential Grape Glob spawns in that area at an early level, as you can quickly die before even realizing it. If there's no space, look for any place that you can AoE. Dancers can level up so quickly due to their AoEs that it doesn't even matter too much where you go for this level range.

15-20: One could try Giant Rats in the Town Hall basement. When you hit 17, Greedy Rats may seem like a decent option, but they're Dancers too, meaning they have high magic evasion. You can still go relatively anywhere for leveling, but you may notice that you don't seem as "invincible" as you were before. Caskmaster AoE grinds are an alternative if you don't want to think about soloing.

20-25: By this point, your squishy nature truly begins to shine without the proper equipment, so don't become reckless with your AoEs. If you choose to stick with Dancewear, try a little bit of 1v1 with non-mercenary mobs (you won't have JJ/SSS at this point) that you're the most comfortable with. You could even try AoEing Female Birds of Paradise in Phoenix Tower when you've become strong enough. If you're not soloing, go to a Male Bird of Paradise party or Neptune's Temple's Crimson Globs.

25-30: FBoP AoE is still somewhat viable until 28. If you are mainly a Different Dancer, you will be able to get JJ/SSS, making a few mercenary mobs a more viable option (but not as viable as both skills have long cooldowns). Only AoE physical mobs if you have the proper equipment. Non-soloers go to Neptune Globs/Zombies.

30-35: Same deal as before, but for magic alternatives, Ice Zombies are a considerable option (might be a little dangerous right at level 30). Non-soloers go to Grizzly Garrison.

35-40: Same deal as before, with Ice Zombies being a safer (but slower) option. Any magic mob that you can safely grind on can also be an option. Non-soloers go to Pandora's Grotto.

40-50: Same deal as before. Getting close to 50, you could try some of the mobs in Town-God Temple, such as Tawny Tims or Menacing Minotaur Soldiers. Non-soloers go to Foggy Forest.

~Life Quests~

Life Quests will give you extra fame points, a recipe for your respective job you do it on, a spring that gives you extra skill points for that job, and later on titles and a weapon itself. Here's what you have to do for Dancer:

Level 20
Speak to Long in the southern part of Swan Lake Basin. He's at the farm. He wants Pupu Paper, which are dropped from Pure White Pupus. Report to him and you'll get a Lucky Charm. He'll then ask you to search for his roster and gives Phoenix Tower has a hint! He lieesssss. Instead go to the Farming Merchant and buy a Hay Hoe. With this, go to a Pile of Dirt located at X: 337 Y: 217. This is in the northern part of Swan Lake Basin, so you may want to fly there. You'll have to fight three Black Baby Bow-Wows in a plot scene. When you kill them, you'll receive the Rumble Rythms Roster. Deliver it to Long and receive your rewards.

Level 30
Note: Be sure to have 3 Silk Cloths and 3 Violet Gold Bellflowers before doing this quest; it makes things go faster!
Speak to Long in Swan Lake Basin. He'll give you a Dancer's Costume Receipt to be delivered to Master Lotus in Placid Plain (X: 523 Y: 521). He asks for 3 Silk Cloths and 3 Violet Gold Bellflowers to make the costume. When you have them, talk to him again. Go to Grassgreen Square and find Harriet the Dancer, whom is located at the Farm area. Be prepared for a dance-off, because once you talk to her, you will battle with Holly, Hyacinth, and Haidee. They can cast Ferocious Fandango and Flying Swallow Fandango, so they can be quite dangerous. Defeating them rewards you a Sapphire Samba Suit, which you can return to Long for your quest rewards.

Level 40
Note: All level 40 Life Quests quests are generally the same.
Talk to Hannah the Dancer, who gives you an invitation to be taken to O'Shea in Collington. You will get a Tome of Demonslaying. Next, kill the following in order:

Giant Metal Rat
Giant Wood Rat
Giant Water Rat
Giant Fire Rat
Giant Earth Rat

Each rat has increasing HP, so it will take longer to kill them as you progress. You can bring a party with you if you want. Do note that only the team leader receives credit, so if your team members need the level 40 Life Quest as well, switch team leaders after each rat kill. When you're done, report to O'Shea and receive your rewards.

~Closing~

So, that's it for Dancer. People just find it fun, and so do I. Just plan carefully, you will end up being terrible later on. Now who wants to join me in my Mating Dance? ;D
...No one? Okay. I'm done here. *walks away with tomato shield*

Zaffie
April 2nd, 2015, 04:51 PM
that's a nice guide ya got there ^_^

Superstarstrike
April 2nd, 2015, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback! It's appreciated.

Now that the patch is out, time to watch as people begin to fight for spots as Dancers. XD I will be amongst them. :evil:

XiangLungFuHu
April 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM
:awsum: this guide nice.
but for more it's interesting,which is the best, physical or magic ?????
i know both good, but if compare.......which is the best ??;-)

Superstarstrike
April 2nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
Quite a few tend to say that physical dancers are better when compared.

However, physical dancer cannot work well with my character, which is centrally built on magic.

XiangLungFuHu
April 2nd, 2015, 08:22 PM
mine physical on aeria, but i found someone with magic ,...seems not diff
here soon i will try both
Thx for reply :)

HinoXem
April 7th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Can I solo and party using Physical Dancer? Or is it just soloing? I went with Physical due to wanting to try something new and I just want to know if both will work for me.

SeraphicLight
April 15th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Hiya!

Sorta new to the game and I'm pretty confused with what to sub for a Dancer..
Would subbing Doctor with a Physical Dancer be good? Like, would the wisdom stat effect my competence as a Doctor because I'm focusing on the physical aspect of my Dancer? Am only level 15 and currently building +2 AGI +1 DEX.

Superstarstrike
April 15th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Doctor is a good sub to have on a person regardless if they're physically or magically based.

Do keep in mind, however, that healing ultimately scales with the amount of wisdom (or is it just magic attack...) you have. So as a physical dancer, you'd heal less than a magical one, making it harder to doc in parties.

SeraphicLight
April 15th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Ah alright, thank you for the quick reply~

XiangLungFuHu
April 16th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Can I solo and party using Physical Dancer? Or is it just soloing? I went with Physical due to wanting to try something new and I just want to know if both will work for me.

Abt party should can, just team sometimes to selfish, ppl just know party need 1 tank,1 doc,1 muse,2 aoe,1 puller. infact party can random, like 1 doc,1 muse,4 aoe, or 1 doc,5 atker.
Abt Solo all job can solo too till cap 70. i ever try :)

Superstarstrike
April 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM

Oh, it seems like I missed your question. >_<

Physical can both party and solo. Party-wise, Fleecing and Fatiguing Fan both help with the damage of Ferocious Fandango, help the tank take more damage thanks to Fatiguing, and even the debuff of Ferocious will help your magic AoErs do more damage. Solo-wise, both debuffs help with your survivability and damage for the same reasons. Even more so when you have equip heavy armor.

Icywind1980
June 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
Hi! For fan dancing, would you recommend 2 agi 1 pow or 2 agi 1 wis?

Superstarstrike
June 3rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
I'd prefer 2 agi 1 pow. Some say go with wis (to be fair wis will still give you some attack), but I feel that will just make your fan dancing too weak for a stronger MP pool.

Icywind1980
June 3rd, 2015, 02:05 PM
I'd prefer 2 agi 1 pow. Some say go with wis (to be fair wis will still give you some attack), but I feel that will just make your fan dancing too weak for a stronger MP pool.

So you rely on things like inner magic and the team muse for MP?

Superstarstrike
June 3rd, 2015, 02:20 PM
Or mating dance, but yes. Even as a different dancer with a 2 wis 1 agi build, using Ferocious Fandango (I use it to combo with my wizard AoEs) too often just eats my MP too much. I feel like Dancer just doesn't have that strong of a natural MP pool, similar to Fencer.

Icywind1980
June 3rd, 2015, 02:22 PM
Or mating dance, but yes. Even as a different dancer with a 2 wis 1 agi build, using Ferocious Fandango (I use it to combo with my wizard AoEs) too often just eats my MP too much. I feel like Dancer just doesn't have that strong of a natural MP pool, similar to Fencer.

I'm sorry if you answered it before but one more question. If I want to party would you prefer dance wear or light armor?

Superstarstrike
June 3rd, 2015, 02:29 PM
For maximum effectiveness, light armor.

Icywind1980
June 3rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
For maximum effectiveness, light armor.

Thanks very much for your help. One last question (promise) :D You said above to focus on either fan dances or different dances, but can I add one of the fan-less aoe's and not completely wreck the build? Was thinking flaming foxtrot.

Superstarstrike
June 3rd, 2015, 02:39 PM
I did say focus on either mainly because of build reasons. Flaming Foxtrot and River Rhumba are sadly weak AoEs and are magic, so they don't benefit fan dancers too much (unless you plan to sub them in which case go ahead).

Icywind1980
June 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks for your help :)