PDA

View Full Version : MA: Staff or Gloves?

Savven
June 9th, 2015, 11:13 PM
I know for sure i'll be soloing most of the time but i want to know which would be best for aoe? staff or glove? thanks!

Arthzy
June 10th, 2015, 12:28 AM
For AoE? None. MA's AoE is kind of sub par.

Glove MA only has 1 AoE. It's good for generating aggro.
Staff MA only has 2 AoE, and both are accessible when you are quite high leveled. 1 is not really an AoE though, but it does have small hit area around the target.

MA is more for 1 on 1 for solo.
For team, usually either tank or puller.

If you really want to AoE, then perhaps you can just take all three.

LilKizuna
June 10th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Neither since both their aoes aren't meant for powering through. Shudder is meant to attract agro as a puller or tank while Dragon Guard is a decent aoe with added single strikes for nearby enemies. It makes better for solo than it would be as an aoe. Staff dance is... something that is lacking entirely. Their CD's are also prevent them from being spammed.

~Lil_Kizuna

Savven
June 10th, 2015, 01:05 AM

Staff MA only has 2 AoE, and both are accessible when you are quite high leveled. 1 is not really an AoE though, but it does have small hit area around the target.

Neither since both their aoes aren't meant for powering through. Shudder is meant to attract agro as a puller or tank while Dragon Guard is a decent aoe with added single strikes for nearby enemies. It makes better for solo than it would be as an aoe. Staff dance is... something that is lacking entirely. Their CD's are also prevent them from being spammed.

~Lil_Kizuna

oh really? i honestly went with MA thinking it would be a good aoe class. can you recommend a good solo/party aoe class?

Superstarstrike
June 10th, 2015, 01:30 AM
When it comes to AoEing solo or party, Dancer gets the best of both worlds. Just slap on LA/HA on a Dancer if you're soloing (which means getting Blademaster/Mercenary to level 30 for the equip skill) and they can power through. Actually, either way, get LA. Dancewear honestly won't help you much.

Savven
June 10th, 2015, 01:47 AM
could shaman be a good choice too? i know they have aoes as well

LilKizuna
June 10th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Shamans are like mediocre wizards. They don't get most of their aoes till lvl 30, their aoes lack punching power and are usually undesirable when looking for a team lvls 10-30. However, they do have many good traits as well. An early MP regen skill, the ability to sub wizard with no penalty and decent debuffs for soloing.

I'd recommend leveling wizard or dancer first before choosing any others if AoEing in a team is your thing.

~Lil_Kizuna

Akitsuru
June 10th, 2015, 02:53 AM
Fencer have decent damage and have 5 aoe if chu build it right

+fencer damage come from both magical and physical so you can sub fencer to another job to be an aoe
*hide*

JojomortalQp7u1
June 10th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Shaman aoe is fine when they get it, since the sheer amount of their aoe makes up for what they lack in power. I suggest leveling wizard a bit and subbing wizard on your shaman for a little extra punch, and it supplements them until you do get your shaman aoe. There are some that do not require scrolls but the more powerful aoe from wizard do require scrolls, and they get great skills later and will serve you well from 50+(ala speeding ticket). Dancer you should always wear LA or Dancewear (especially later with dancewear when you need magical resist, you'll be wearing dancewear on everything minus those that should wear robes.)

As with all of the caster classes you can sub and use them for pretty much anything, AoE, doctor, muse. have fun and knock yourself out. Also dance can be a powerful soloer if you don't go physical as well. It just depends, you can do wizard and use the aoe skills from them, shaman sub for soloing, etc etc. Many many things that you can do. :)

1roha
June 13th, 2015, 08:47 PM
* Spoiler Alert *
Shaman AOEs are hard to use since they are targeted area spell. Go with wizard AOEs.

DOMOAKFrost
June 15th, 2015, 02:22 AM
* Spoiler Alert *
Shaman AOEs are hard to use since they are targeted area spell. Go with wizard AOEs.

hard to use? seriously?

1roha
June 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
hard to use? seriously?

Yeah, first click the skill or press the hotkey and then click the area.
It is not very handy for quick caster with keyboard only maneuver.
And it is not completely useless either, I also used those once in a while.

Thomosmax11pgrx
December 9th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I agree with arthzy!

Glove MA only has 1 AoE. It's good for generating aggro. Staff MA only has 2 AoE, and both are accessible when you are quite high leveled. 1 is not really an AoE though, but it does have small hit area around the target.

MikiOnyx
January 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
if u need help with decision just look on my old MA screen shoot bellow

http://files.tinypic.pl/i/00748/jrmk3okutgtv.png

Meyera
January 28th, 2016, 09:54 AM

I leveled MA by subbing light armor, some sort of mp regen (I prefer thief control breathing and wizards cataclysmic converter as MA has really good hp and hp regen buffs), and then aoe grinding. The damage on the glove aoe is good enough and with a fast enough cooldown that you can pull trains and just spam it. It casts really fast too, practically instant especially since I run a build of 58 agi pure physique. The instant speed makes you able to kite without taking hardly any hits.

~Lil_Kizuna

Staff Dance does kinda suck.

Staffs attacks are some of the strongest skills in the entire game, the problem is that all the combo hits are pure multipliers that need a very high amount of attack to be efficient. I recall AKFrost saying that each combo hit had a cap of 10k. Means swizzle which hits like 7 combo hits can do 70k beyond the initial skill hit. But good luck getting enough attack, you probably need about 6000 attack on status to do it.

In my experience running CFury with a wooden staff on grizzly bears in babel, the kill speed was pretty phenomenal. Problem was all the pills and such needed to maintain a high enough attack to make it worth it. I barely broke 2500 attack, but with the element advantage my combo hits on swizzle would do about 6k each iirc. Imagine having enough attack to make them do a solid 20k each with element boost. If only it were possible. Other skills have a higher combo multiplier like coiled serpent can cap easy but not as many combo hits.

Also, it's kinda hilarious using swizzle, cloudshaker, and coiled serpent in a row and watching the monster convulse from all the combo hits.