PDA

View Full Version : Additional tool to fight gold spammers.

EmeraldKnight92
November 20th, 2015, 05:15 PM
I'm not sure whether requesting development resources for this is feasible, but I'd like to suggest an option nonetheless. When a spammer is banned, they're immediately aware of it. This leads to them simply creating new accounts and continuing to spam at will. As such, banning only ever proves to be a short-term solution and continues to require resources to be put into banning them and keeping track of their behavior. I would propose, instead, a sort of "shadowban" implementation.

The high-level overview of the implementation is pretty simple. Rather than outright removing the character, I propose rendering the offending character invisible (or not, that's optional) and preventing their messages from showing up in the chat. However, they should continue to render all other players, receive all applicable user and system messages (e.g. they should still see the broadcast channel), and even see their own messages in the chat window. This would effectively silence the offending characters without it being clear to them that any silencing has occurred (not without additional effort, anyway).

Unfortunately I know nothing of the code for this game, but I imagine a possible implementation could check a flag and then, if that flag is raised, messages from the shadowbanned player would be sent back to that player, but not to any others (I believe that a player's messages are only displayed after being received back from the server, but I could be wrong).

Just a thought. It seems like this would be a good long-term investment in reducing resources dedicated to addressing these gold spammers.

PsychoIndy
November 21st, 2015, 07:55 AM
I can see your point. doing something like this would be nice, but would take some time to setup the database for it. if it could be done, would make it easier than blacklisting all the gold spammers, every single day, that keep showing up. Just something to consider from either Softstar or Suba to think about.

If we do get something like this to happen, it will take time to setup right, without accusing legit players from the database that is going to be put into use.

1roha
November 22nd, 2015, 08:40 AM
its GM's work, ban them whenever they show up is obvious fastest option.