PDA

View Full Version : Skill developement guide

SelenisAaargh
September 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ok since I dont want to only critisize others but actually offer some insight in my Ata experience, here my skill developement guide for a working Ata.

lvls. 10-20

Shield Strike 1
Farina 1
Throwing Mastery 4
Bigger Spear 0

Reasoning:
Shield Strike is up to ice caves one of the most usefull skills. Train it and learn to controll groups of monsters and enemies in PVP! Most usefull at 1 because higher lvls only raise damage not stun time and damage is near to nothing.
Farina is very usefull against high defense monsters (King Hopy when you first enter dun3 for example or monsters in lvl 80 areas and up) and in PVP!
Leave it at 1 because its already good at 1, higher lvls dont give higher speed boost and youll want to spam it alot.

Maxing out Throwing Mastery is in my opinion more important than having rank-up quest at 20 thats why I advise against investing into Bigger Spear at 18 or 20, infact you wont need an attack skill untill you fight against Headcutters and Figons anyway and for those others are more suited.

lvls. 20 - 32:
Shield Strike 1
Farina 1
Throwing Mastery 9
Bigger Spear 1

Reasoning:
Before you have Ring Armor at 35 you cant really do much against Headcutters in Oasis so youll hunt in Forgotten Land (d2) anyway. No monster there which you have to dispose fast except skele archers and those fall fast anyway.
You need Rank-Up quest before you go to Oasis because of Twisted Javelin.

lvl: 34-36
Rank-Up Quest
Windy 1
Twist Javelin 1

Reasoning:
First Rank-Up quest for Morions is really annoying and at 36 you'll have less stress with it. At 36 you also will start to train and hunt in Oasis (d1) where you'll find Headcutters. For those Twist Javelin is a really nice attack skill because they are demons (so are Figons, Slaughters and Illusion Knights later)

lvls 38-40:
Throwing Mastery 10 Tier 1 Skills complete
Windy 1
Twist Javelin 1
Soul Sucker 1
Fire Javelin 1 Tier 2 skills complete

lvls 40-50:
Start (but do not complete!) second Rank-Up Quest.

Reasoning:
OK heres why: Winged Javelin sux and Anaconda rox! Winged has no damage specc and your Anaconda (Quest Weapon) not only has speed 8 and nice damage but also gives you HP boost. You can also keep the quest ring!
Plus you won't really need Tier 3 skills untill you can hunt Dun3 or Forbidden (d4) anyway (ToV at low lvls aint giving much and you wont get Storm before 50 anyway.
So in this lvl-range no new skills, just age your anaconda to 3 and dont visit skillmaster untill you're 50, so train train train in d1 and dun1 :cool:.
Fire Javelin is great against Webs (Mutants) BTW!

Now before you hit 50 get yourself a nice Holy Javelin and murky mix it!
Thiw will be your main weapon untill you get a sweet Wyvern Javelin (which you should also murky mix!)

SelenisAaargh
September 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
lvl 50:
Second Rank-up quest complete
Split Javelin 1
Triumph of Valhalla (ToV) 2
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin (Storm) 1

Reasoning:
All those skills at once at lvl 50, so plan your budget!
Your whole lvl 50 and more will be filled with trainning Storm, Split and Lightning jav :rolleyes:
And you can enter Dun2 where you'll find Mummies (undead)
Lightning javelin is great against undead and good enough at lvl 1
Split Javelin is great even though it has a short delay even at 100%.
Try Hit and Run tactics with it, you'll see!
Storm Javelin is our only spammable AoE skill so learn to use it, especially since your ata will throw twice without a chance to pot midway...
ToV is just awesome and later become even more awesomer! 2nd Best Buff ingame IMHO!

lvls. 52-58 With Cave Quest at 55
Split Javelin 1
Triumph of Valhalla (ToV) 7
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin (Storm) 1

Reasoning:
Now some atas prefer investing into storm first before boosting ToV.
This only works IMO if you invested into spirit enough to afford the higher mp costs for spamming it. In my experience Storm at 1 is already nice for some bigger mobs in dun2 or d4 and you'll get more effect from a 7 ToV (also you're more welcome in parties :D)

lvl 60
Third Tank-Up Quest
Split Javelin 1
Triumph of Valhalla 8
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin 1

Hall of Valhalla (HoV) 1

Reasoning:
Hall of Valhalla is the best buff in PT IMHO! Even at 1 it is! You may have to recast is more often than ToV but when in party all in reach get affected by ToV at your current lvl (chained) and you get even some small evade chance (others halved but hey! :)).

lvls 62-70: With Friendship with Michael Quest
Split Javelin 1
Triumph of Valhalla 10
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin 5

Hall of Valhalla (HoV) 3
Extreme Rage (rage) 1
Frost Javelin (frost) 1
Vengeance (ven) 1

Reasoning:
Maxing Tov is a given. After that you'll need storm at a high lvl, also a given.
Rage has a horrendous delay... but its an AoE attack and you can mix it with storm.
Frost Javelin is actually a nice buff. Added Ice damage (min+20 max+30 at lvl 1) and slows down target! Use it in PVP in combination with Shield Strike and your enemies will learn to stay away from atas out of sheer annoyance :D Especially if you make a low spirit build you will need this skill!
Vengeance is our best Attack Skill. You can spam it and no pause between the 2 throws. BUT its a huge mana burn, so its a problem for low spirit builds.
BTW: Fire javelin is your friend against KH and Stone Giant and Web!

SelenisAaargh
September 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
lvls 62-70: With Friendship with Michael Quest
Split Javelin 1
Triumph of Valhalla 10
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin 5

Hall of Valhalla (HoV) 3
Extreme Rage (rage) 1
Frost Javelin (frost) 1
Vengeance (ven) 1

Reasoning:
Maxing Tov is a given. After that you'll need storm at a high lvl, also a given.
Rage has a horrendous delay... but its an AoE attack and you can mix it with storm.
Frost Javelin is actually a nice buff. Added Ice damage (min+20 max+30 at lvl 1) and slows down target! Use it in PVP in combination with Shield Strike and your enemies will learn to stay away from atas out of sheer annoyance :D Especially if you make a low spirit build you will need this skill!
Vengeance is our best Attack Skill. You can spam it and no pause between the 2 throws. BUT its a huge mana burn, so its a problem for low spirit builds.
BTW: Fire javelin is your friend against KH and Stone Giant and Web!

lvls: 72-80 with both lvl 80 Quests
Split Javelin 5
Triumph of Valhalla 10
Lightning Javelin 1
Storm Javelin 8

Hall of Valhalla (HoV) 6
Extreme Rage (rage) 1
Frost Javelin (frost) 1
Vengeance (ven) 3

Reasoning:
Now for my Ata I will leave Storm at 8... Why? Because I will leave spirit at 72-74 for Ats devine and I need to be able to cast Storm 5 times in row with full or near full mana to feel comfortable thats why!
From now on I will max out Split Javelin because its a really nice hit and run skill and a nice finishing move for PvP.
HoV at 6 and Ven only 3:
Well it's my preference only really. The evade from HoV saved my ass too many times already and ven at 3 is already a huge mana burn and already nice damage to spam (but split is better!)
Only reason I dont boost frost is because it only chains with farina :( (bugged i guess)

SelenisAaargh
September 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
lvls 82-119
Well honestly by now you won't need any guide because you figured your ata out by yourself :)
I will max our Split first then invest in Windy. After thats maxed i dont know.
For Elite Skills I will max out HoV and then most likely get ven to 5 or 7 or invest in frost, Im not sure.

Some last tipps for equip:
Do not age your stuff unless you're willing to age past +8 or unless youre hopelessly vain.
Best mix for shields before lvl 70 is the +4% block murky mix.
after 70 (extreme shield or higher) the best mix for shields is the devine +40 hp mix!
Why? Because Typhoon and Omicron or Ratto and higher dont care about your defense and your block % only gets you so far. What you really need is a HP buffer to react to multiple hits in row or crits and block and evade fails!

:cool: Thanks for reading my stuff :cool:

PS: Can we PLEASE raise the max character setting for this forum section? :(

Chislev
September 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Those are some nice beginner guidelines.

On the last tier, i agree, for that time everyone will probably know what will they want off their character. Diversity on high end builds means also the chance to actually find different atalanta's playing style, and thats awesome. I can't see when in some class all characters are all just about the same :)

Finnhitz
September 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
How about going for high storm javelin (with high spirit of course) before HoV for purely leveling purposes?

I used to play ata a long time ago and might a new one in the future, what kind of skillbuild would be the absolute best for leveling?

SelenisAaargh
September 24th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well the question is not HoV but Tov but in the end its the same of course.

I *think* with the stom first build youll lvl faster in DS.
however you should take into account the time spent manafarming...
you will kill faster but farm more too...

Wishie made a calculation where a lvl 4 Storm jav does more accumulated damage per manabar than a lvl 10 storm jav (at 72 spirit)
the difference is quite remarkable actually.
now what this does not take into account is the actual effectiveness of storm, because mobs are not static, which means a lesser storm needs to hit monsters more often to kill them and theres more chance to miss some of a group.

I have lvl 6 Storm atm which is enough to kill *really* fast in dun3 hs solo (its actually really boring now)
and quite fast in s1 HS
I will invest 1 more point into storm at 80 from the quest and check then if i go for 8 but I wont go further.

In my experience something between 6 and 8 is the best compromise in the end.

But it could work with a celesto build if you have a good mana source.
Problem then is that greats wont fill your bar anymore and youll need mysts :/

SelenisAaargh
October 19th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Welp im 85 now and have some additions to my experince with my build.

Currently:
Split 7
Storm 7
HoV 8
Ven 3

Str 128 for hp mixed titan armor, 50 health.
You can call it a balanced semi-agi-build since for a real agi-build (balanced) I should have 110 str for supreme and still enough for 8x shields.
(And more health...)

Im never really in danger in i2 and can hutn just fine there.
Training in s2 hs is also nice and only in danger when I slip attention (but then everyone can die anyway)
Soloing S2 HS is possible but just a pain because of those darned Incubus...
Without incubus it would be just fine :(

The only problem I stumbled upon is that I cant solo Babel!
Not because of his damage (AOE crit takes 75% hp, when youre prepared you can pot that away)
But my damage output is not enough (even with murky force) to overcome hi HP regen.
The main reason is my lvl 3 vengeance, it's just not enough DPS.

Well solo Babel is something for 90 I guess :-/

Split 7 is just an awesome punch :)
Ill definitly max that one out!
Delay got a little worse but not intolerable yet.

Squirrel22
October 27th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I like, thanks Selenis

christabel
November 3rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
My ata is 91, with skills:
- Throwing 10
- Windy 10
- ToV 10
- Split 7
- HoV 4
- Veng 10

With stats:
- Str 108
- Spr 72
- Tal 90
- Agi 274
- Health 50

I don't do pvps. Just hunting solo/party. Was wondering if I need to increase my health (by lowering agi a little). Or adjust my skills? (Cause I was in dilemma of HoV 4 + Veng 10 V.S. HoV 10 + Veng 4) Please advice, thanks.

Baaly
November 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
hmmm..... so it seems split jav is better than twist jav for 1v1?

why?

:o

SelenisAaargh
November 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
@bel well only thing would be the lvl10 windy.
dont know if youre using it.
I for myself dont and hit at least in i2 just fine.
matters could be different in ice of course

@Baaly: TBH thats something I didnt test yet.
I know 10 Split is better than 10 Twisted in PvP.
A 10 Split is nearly 500% damage delivered in one go without much of a warning (expecially since atas are so rare) and we need something to beak the monoteous damageoutput with Ven.
But 10 twisted jav could very well be better than split and even ven for that matter in hunting.

christabel
November 7th, 2009, 05:13 AM
@bel well only thing would be the lvl10 windy.
dont know if youre using it.
I for myself dont and hit at least in i2 just fine.
matters could be different in ice of course

@Baaly: TBH thats something I didnt test yet.
I know 10 Split is better than 10 Twisted in PvP.
A 10 Split is nearly 500% damage delivered in one go without much of a warning (expecially since atas are so rare) and we need something to beak the monoteous damageoutput with Ven.
But 10 twisted jav could very well be better than split and even ven for that matter in hunting.

Just that ata doesn't really have much useful skills to be focus on. =/ I don't want storm jav since I'm not leveling anymore. And my main attack skills would be split jav 7+ veng 10. But Markus, it's not wise to raise Split to 8 right?

Baaly
November 7th, 2009, 07:12 AM
well.... my ata is party-build so i dont have vengeance at all.

i just want either split or twist jav so that i have my 1v1 skill after all.
i just dunno which of those two to pick...

SelenisAaargh
November 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Just that ata doesn't really have much useful skills to be focus on. =/ I don't want storm jav since I'm not leveling anymore. And my main attack skills would be split jav 7+ veng 10. But Markus, it's not wise to raise Split to 8 right?

well delay seemed to have risen a little more than in previous lvls yes.
unwise i dont know really :)
I still used split 8 in hunting and have split 9 now (not 100% yet)
with mana recharge a combination of split and ven is really fun :D

next ill get 8 storm.
even when hunting im using storm in i2 when 2 or more monsters have been lured and it works fine :)

Bump:
well.... my ata is party-build so i dont have vengeance at all.

i just want either split or twist jav so that i have my 1v1 skill after all.
i just dunno which of those two to pick...

LOL personally i think both are similar and you cant do much wrong anyway.

Baaly
November 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
THX that didnt help me at all in my decision LOL

SelenisAaargh
November 7th, 2009, 02:54 PM
alright alright.

(makes coinflip)

the correct answer was Twisted Jav :)

trust me on this one ^^

(because you dont have Ven and need something to spam out damage)

Baaly
November 7th, 2009, 08:56 PM
yes yes spam spam dmg dmg

is all i need to be happy :p

5ubanoob
January 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
no one seems to mention about soul sucker..is this skill really that suckz :XD: I dont really know how to use this skill at all...it got a shiled compatible icon so I assume you need a shield to use this skill but I couldnt use it.... i that a bug long known since EPT launch?

SelenisAaargh
January 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
no one seems to mention about soul sucker..is this skill really that suckz :XD: I dont really know how to use this skill at all...it got a shiled compatible icon so I assume you need a shield to use this skill but I couldnt use it.... i that a bug long known since EPT launch?

Soul sucker is iffy...
Heres what ive discovered from other tactic threads on ata:

Cons:
- You need either a mixed or aged shield to make the skill work(dont ask me why :XD:)
- Even at 100% you cant spam it
- It doesnt work against undead
- It wont work if the Hp of your target drop below 50%

Pros:
- The lifedrain circumvents targets absorb rating
- you can use it through certain walls

The only valid use for this skill is apparently against certain highlevel monsters in 10x areas (ET) with ridiculously high absorb.
Untill then its a waste of time to use it, one of those skills which sound nice on paper but arent any practical in actual fight because storm jav is a better mass damage skill and its better to rely on pots than on slow lifedrain.

5ubanoob
January 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I got a shallow understanding on this skill ..all I know is from here http://ept1.blogspot.com/2008/03/atalanta-skills.html#comments

"attacks by stealing enemy health" sounds good on description but when I use it is got stuck :P...if they can correct this skill I think it will be pretty neat!....no hp pots required...just attack with that skill :evil:

SelenisAaargh
January 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Read my answer to your question, I tested it multiple times and the hp you get are negligible and unreliable... its a useless skill unless youre using it in very controlled conditions (trapped highlvl mosnter with high absorb)

Oh and yadang NEVER corrects buggy or illogical skills, dont hope for that. The game is full of skillbugs from 2005 or older.

Soul sucker is iffy...
Heres what ive discovered from other tactic threads on ata:

Cons:
- You need either a mixed or aged shield to make the skill work(dont ask me why :XD:)
- Even at 100% you cant spam it
- It doesnt work against undead
- It wont work if the Hp of your target drop below 50%

Pros:
- The lifedrain circumvents targets absorb rating
- you can use it through certain walls

The only valid use for this skill is apparently against certain highlevel monsters in 10x areas (ET) with ridiculously high absorb.
Untill then its a waste of time to use it, one of those skills which sound nice on paper but arent any practical in actual fight because storm jav is a better mass damage skill and its better to rely on pots than on slow lifedrain.

I got a shallow understanding on this skill ..all I know is from here http://ept1.blogspot.com/2008/03/atalanta-skills.html#comments

"attacks by stealing enemy health" sounds good on description but when I use it is got stuck :P...if they can correct this skill I think it will be pretty neat!....no hp pots required...just attack with that skill :evil:

Chislev
January 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM
I know in some recent skill rebalance in KPT soul sucker was modified, though i still don't know how it works now IF they did actually change it.

The fact about Soul Sucker as we've got it, is that in order to steal life from a monster your life must be low, if you are at full health it wont steal anything. About it working in ET, i doub't it can be of much use since basically all mobs there are undead. Oh and it doesn't work on mechanic type either.

All in all, train it level one if you like it's cute animation, but don't waste points on it.

Baaly
February 7th, 2010, 04:23 AM
w o r d :p

SelenisAaargh
March 19th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Changes after the latest update:
So i got to lvl 93 and gathered some experience with our skills in cave and in BC:

Current Skill-setup:
Shieldstrike 1 - especially in BC very handy for defensive situations
Throwing mastery 10 - duh! now even better!
Windy 10 - for range increase in 9x maps mostly
ToV 10
Storm Javelin 8 - for 5 uses with full mp bar (damage increased by 12% with update)

HoV 5 - Max from now on, since update as good as HoV8 preupdate
Vengeance 10 - Most awesomest skill everest now! Adds 55 range, 100% AR and damage boost (yes skill description ingame leaves damage out...), adds 25% crit and only 51 mp per use! ^^

Well I would say its a classic Ven, HoV, Windy build and im way happier with it now that im in 9x maps.
BUT I only need this setup since I entered those maps!
With the Vengeanceupdate, split jav became less of a necessity (split 10 still a little more powerfull than ven 10 tho) but the range bonus from windy makes life way easier now.
Especially since im now able to outrange Chaos Caras mp drain circle and Hit&Run against Devil Bird is more relaxed now.

For all pre 9x atas out there:
Once you start hunting in icemaps and higher youll use vengeance ALL THE TIME, maybe with some shieldstrikes in between. :P

Nnoitra
March 19th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I know in some recent skill rebalance in KPT soul sucker was modified, though i still don't know how it works now IF they did actually change it.

The fact about Soul Sucker as we've got it, is that in order to steal life from a monster your life must be low, if you are at full health it wont steal anything. About it working in ET, i doub't it can be of much use since basically all mobs there are undead. Oh and it doesn't work on mechanic type either.

All in all, train it level one if you like it's cute animation, but don't waste points on it.

There are only 2 undead monsters, undeadhopy and undeadkinghopy and only 1 mechanic monster, hobogolem, so that leaves 9 monsters in ET1+2 on which it could work

SelenisAaargh
July 13th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Hmm i considered posting some new experiences for LOC and higher and here it comes now:

lvl 90-119:
At this point youre facing mobs with ver high absorb and hp values, way way higher than anything you've encountered so far (think maps full with Iron Fists :p)

A new strategy has now become the most effective for ata, even though its quite expensive on mana (or itemshop items)

1on1 strategy and build:
At 90 or soon after you might consider reskilling to max out vengeance!
Rest points should go into HoV ( at 112 you can max that too then)
Also consider ditching Split Jav for Windy.
you will need the extra range form windy in LOC and higher!

Now youll never use storm in training, just spam vengeance at mobs till theyre down :)
The higher you get the faster it goes.
The advantage of this is that now you can use forces effectively :)

The problem is mana... so you might consider investing in mana recharges and mana down pots... its expensive but youll be more effective :/

Also now youll use hit&run tactics alot when you hunt :)

ElSuperLobo
July 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM
There are only 2 undead monsters, undeadhopy and undeadkinghopy and only 1 mechanic monster, hobogolem, so that leaves 9 monsters in ET1+2 on which it could work

Yes ther ARENT undead but they SHOULD BE undead cos are REVIVED.

Chislev
July 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Nice tips, Selenis :)

As for the mana, i've had a very very nice outcome with 80 spirit and a nice celesto (plus VRs of course, i still don't have kelvezu amulet but i guess it will get better when i get one). Even spamming vengeance non stop i never run mout of mana, in fact i always get more mana potions than what i will actually use

SelenisAaargh
July 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Im actually considering a spirit build for inferna.
maybe ill try that once i hit 100 or 102.
well VRs heh didnt have tme to hunt him yet but well guess gonna have to -.-

Chislev
July 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Im actually considering a spirit build for inferna.
maybe ill try that once i hit 100 or 102.
well VRs heh didnt have tme to hunt him yet but well guess gonna have to -.-

I think that by using VRs (not to mention a Kelve) you wont need anything above celesto to perform really well :)

Some atas i know, who use both VRs and Kelve, have told me not to go above devine, but i guess i will never know for real how does it feel until i get my own kelve :'(

Dacoolboy
January 28th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I've been following this guide and it says that by level 40, you should have 10 in throwing mastery and 1 in everything else. Now I'm 40 but I'm 1 skill point down?
Am I bugged and didn't get a skillpoint somewhere or what? :S

SelenisAaargh
March 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I've been following this guide and it says that by level 40, you should have 10 in throwing mastery and 1 in everything else. Now I'm 40 but I'm 1 skill point down?
Am I bugged and didn't get a skillpoint somewhere or what? :S

yea seems like i got that one wrong >.<
sorry about that.

important is to have storm at lvl 50, so keep tov at 1

meh :(

SoundOfOcarina
March 8th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Windy 10 - for range increase in 9x maps mostly
With the Vengeanceupdate, split jav became less of a necessity (split 10 still a little more powerfull than ven 10 tho) but the range bonus from windy makes life way easier now.

I'm confused, here it says that range bonus remain the same at lvl 1 or 10:
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/6578/atask2.jpg

SelenisAaargh
March 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM
ok lemme rephrase XD
windy 1 ofc already has the max range bonus for this skill.
BUT at 1 lt lasts really for a short time and you would need to recast it constantly.
I tried to hunt this way and found it not tolerable.
So Windy 10 for range for a decent timeperiod (well and the AR bonus is not to be sneezed at ofc)

this AR bonus does come handy in ET where even with 2000 ish AR you start to miss noticeably -.-

SelenisAaargh
March 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Also with the addition of magic forces storm and even xrage could actually be used for new high-lvl builds now.
IF we get higher shelts and a good way of supply (like enigma forces with mileagepoints maybe)

SoundOfOcarina
March 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I get it, I didn't thought of duration lol. Is the atr bonus like for archer dion eyes skill = just % of weapon and not total atr ?

SelenisAaargh
March 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
nah only dependant on weapon.
it would be epic if it was our actual AR lol
but still its nice. spike jav and immo jav have good base ar ;)

Archeart
August 18th, 2011, 03:32 AM
really like this guide :D following it but adding a few things of my own :P

can't wait till I hit 8x :P

oh and I am a Santa Ata

have you tried that yet??

JustinBieberLovesYou
August 26th, 2011, 03:46 AM
gonna keep windy same time as my HOV buff

what to max besides windy guys?

Archeart
August 30th, 2011, 12:44 AM
gonna keep windy same time as my HOV buff

what to max besides windy guys?

FARINA lvl5+FROST JAV=FREEZE NOW AND KISS THE FLOOR!

Hansas
September 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'm starting to play Atalanta and I want you to take away a question here ...
My skills will look like this:
Throwing Mastery: 10
Split Javelin: 10
Tov: 10
And now I do not know whether to put in Storm or Javelin Windy ...
Which should I get??