Thread: (Protect Your Alchemy!) How to Handle Reskilling Commoner

Default (Protect Your Alchemy!) How to Handle Reskilling Commoner

The first thing you'll see is look at the title and say "but Superstarstrike/Veigar, you can't reskill Commoner!" You could also say "Why is it important? Isn't this like any other job?"

For the former, you're half right. You cannot reskill Commoner with the Naturally Gifted Man. Only with the Back-to-Basics Book (Skills). There's a safety reason for this.

For the latter, well...Commoner is "special" when it handles its skills. You know alchemy, yes? You level that up by making stuff. You level up Apex of Alchemy to raise your personal alchemy cap. When you reskill it, that Apex of Alchemy will be gone! So in order to save your alchemy levels, the game creates an item called Commoner's Tear to store them. While this item is on your character, you cannot reskill or rebirth your Commoner.

Why is this important? Because if approached without proper planning, you could lose most, if not all, your hard-earned alchemy levels. This almost happened to me in the past and is on the verge of happening to a fellow guildie and our alchemy levels are very high. Therefore, I must spread the message and tips. This now begs the question of "why reskill Commoner in the first place"?

Reasons why you'd want to bother:
    • Obtaining all level 3 and level 7 collection achievements
    • You want your character to specialize on more/different things without leveling Commoner further (or if it's already a capped 70-75)
    • You regret putting points into Thrifty Saver
    • You're interested in Alchemy and need points for Apex of Alchemy

If it's the fourth reason, you don't even need to worry about this thread (yet). If it's any other reason, ESPECIALLY the first one, I'm going to assume you also have alchemy a little bit invested for the purposes of this thread. This will be one step by step.

Step 0.5: Get a Back-to-Basics Book (Skills) and use it
    Step 1: ALWAYS put your Apex of Alchemy back to where it was BEFORE putting points into anything else. If you mess this up, you'll be forced to collect springs and/or level up further. If your Commoner is already capped, you've basically ruined your alchemy and you'll have to consider Occupation Spring Water for it or deal with the loss of your alchemy levels. Again, you cannot reskill or rebirth Commoner as long as Commoner's Tear is on your character.
    Step 1.5: Stop putting points into Thrifty Saver. Even if you're of the few people who use pills, the boost is quite minimal to be worth a passive skill slot. Yes, I'm implying you'll have a better/more important passive skill slot to sub. Of course, there's no harm if you don't use your particular character for collection and are only in it for the achievements.

Here's some points to keep in mind:
    • If you are unable to get level 7 on any collection skill after putting your Apex of Alchemy back to where it was, you will need to spring up/level up your Commoner more. Looking at you, achievement hunters.
    • Commoner's Tear is only important for Alchemy. Once you've gotten that sorted out, it's safe to throw it away.
    • Do every single quest that provides a Commoner's Spring before resorting to the Item Mall.

Annnd that's pretty much it. Don't ruin your alchemy!

If something is perfect, it doesn't exist. Therefore, we need to face reality and set expectations accordingly.

Games & IGNs:
    -Lucent Heart (Rikkardo, Moon Flame Envoy|DeadlyLoli, Nova Sentinel) -remaining inactive-
    -Dream of Mirror Online (Veigar, lvl 75 Wizard main) -active-

Just a Black Mage

Feel free to drop a question, though I am mostly limited to DOMO related content.

I love my Thrifty Saver, stop being a hater.

Also word of advice, you alchemy returns to 0% on whatever level you reskilled at, i.e. if you're 90% tnl might as well get that 10%.

Alchemy is currently capped at 70. No, rebirthing does not increase it.

You therefore do not need level 9 and 10 of apex of alchemy. They serve no purpose other than to waste skill points, for now.

Sodium, atomic number 11, was first isolated by Peter Dager in 1807. A chemical component of salt, he named it Na in honor of the saltiest region on earth, North America.