Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Book(s) you're currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by AlisGelida View Post
    Wow, you're an inverse man hahaha

ATM...

I actually meant I don't read books because I'm too intelligent for those.

Quote Originally Posted by GieLH View Post
    Sorry for the double post~ *breathes life into thread*
    Well, I'm still pretty hooked on the series. I make it a sacred rule to never give out spoilers about books or movies~ So not to worry, what I have to share is nothing like that, loves..! ^^

The book, as it implies, puts a handful of principles pertaining to social and educational psychology into emphasis. One of which the author has cited is the psychological proposition of the Halo Effect of which I have also encountered in my psychology class years back, thought regrettably I had to look deeper into it. *quite a dodgy memory* The Halo Effect was coined by a psychologist named Edward Thorndike. Now, there are many interpretations of his proposal written by other people to the extent of making his idea blown out of proportion and miscontrued. However originally, Thorndike proposed that there is a relation to aesthetic attraction and human judgement - not just in general, but applicable specifically to areas of profession, academics, business, politics and even law. Basically, he likens the idea to 'first impressions'. People's judgement over others can be influenced by physical perception: neatness, physique, voice quality, energy. Thorndike's research concentrated on the sinister role of attractiveness. This is how the entire thought inherited its name - a halo. An aura seemingly projected from the attractive person but is actually created by our own perceptions.

For one, there was this study conducted to assess the likeliness of people being convicted by jurors in court. People who were considered more attractive to the jurors were less likely to be convicted by them. If that is hard to believe, well the study is ridiculously true. There are studies about it addressing academics and other areas of concern. Generally, the studies center on personality traits vs perceptions of attractiveness. And of course, there is counter part of this proposal which is the Devil Effect and/or the Reverse-Halo effect.

That's about it. I hope that was something slightly interesting to you. To me, I would not want people to befriend or make enemies with me founded on physical or superficial attributes alone. One of the reasons as to why I am careful with whom I present myself to online. Love or hate, I'd rather they'd do so based on how I am as a person (as corny and cliche as I sound) Also, truth be told, I'm not an big-time book worm~ I'm not hunting down books all the time..! However rarely, I do enjoy reading a selected few which appeals to me from time to time. Those books which a playful universe but also with a lot of action and conspiracy! (I don't read romance or slice-of-life books)

So how about you..? What book have you been reading and are there any interesting insights and profound principles that you'd like to tackle up for debate or simply just share with us? Apologies if I sound like a teacher asking for a book report, ohoh...! I must sound boring. I'm not a wizard with starting out conversations~ but it's worth a shot because I think a book thread is still worth having in the community~ That's all o/

---

Edit: Another apology from me~ Sorry for making myself sound confusing.. English is not my native language (though it's not an excuse)~ Although I do very well in reading - especially in my field of study.. I understand that my vocabulary and sentence construction is not as polished and I do sound complicating when trying to express myself fully in writing.. (and perhaps when speaking *urk, my accent shows when I speak*) Sorry..! ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ ❀

Wow that's quite a story! But I humbly disagree with it. I do think that aliens exist because why would it be only us? The universe is tremendous and with today's technology it's not possible to explore most of it. And I firmly believe humanity will never be able to explore the entire universe. It's because of the velocity of light. We will never be able to get any close to that. It's impossible. No can do.
    Aliens must exist. They exist somewhere in the universe but these incredibly huge distances cut us apart. That's why we can't meet.

I don't read really but the last I was read the Pokémon Adventures Manga I got to Rudy and Sapphire and stop just could not stand the guy x.x I'll pick it back up laterz been busy lately <3

Waiting in Hope for Domo

Harry potter m8

I'm reading Never the Bride, its about the bride of Frankenstein

The Book of the New Sun, Shadow and Claw by Gene Wolfe

Last edited by Bridgetlachea; March 23rd, 2015 at 02:07 PM.

1984 by George Orwell

Default The Idea Factory

I recently read The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gertner, in which the author claims that the main innovations in America were born between 1928 and 1980 in the walls of Bell Labs. Gertner tells the story of the birth of the most brilliant inventions of the 20th century, including the fax machine, the first television transmitter working on long distances and the first steps of mobile technologies. Different laws (like the law of conservation of energy, which is described in the example in this blog assignment.essayshark.com/blog/law-of-conservation-of-energy-problems-with-solutions/) and the theorems were proven and applied in this laboratory and probably the beginning of many unique devices in the world was fielded right here.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789