Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automech Guide

Default Automech Guide

Automech Guide

As we all got to know though time, theres many ways to build a mech. One of the more uncommen yet one of the oldest variants is the Automech, sometimes also refered to as a bowmech. But even this build have variants and I will try to cover them later. First of all, let me cover the pro's and con's of the automech.

Pro's:
    - Doesnt relay on skills for leveling = no need for mana pots
    - Able to sell all the mana he finds to the mana addicts
    - Cheap gear compared with other mech builds
    - Cheap hunter = Don’t need a lot of pots ect, just some forces and hp pots
    - Relaxing hunter = Golem tanks, you just sit back and recast the golem if it dies.

Con's:
    - Proberly one of the slowest classes to level. (full tank mech and partybased ata level around the same speed)
    - No spam skills = not able to pvp
    - No spam skills = Always get outdamaged by party members, so not many drops
    - Low hp = watch out for ranged mobs, THEY HURT.
    - Low overall damage = trouble finding parties, many dont want to be slowed down

Skills
    Extreme shield, Mech weapon mastery, Automation, Golem and Magnetic Sphere.

Alright now on to the different builds. These 3 are the most commen ones

100% pure Automech
    Str - 92
    Spirit – 36
    Talent - 80/90
    Health - base
    Agi - everything theres left

Why Str 92 ? Thats the max str needed for MS bows. Now, MS bows are rare, you dont wanna risk not being able to use one when you finally get it. 92 str also covers an AS FMA, AS/ATA gaunts/boots and a MS blaze. Your last bracelet will be a ms justice bracelet (lvl 70).
    Spirit 36 is the max spirit needed for later bows, this also covers ms sparky and magic jewelry. Talent 80 is the requirement for bows (except a few which can be skipped) However I recommend raising talent to 90 to cover javelins requirement too, that will give you a 1-handed weapon allowing you to use your shield in a pinch. The 100% pure build is not supposed to get hit at all and therefore can leave health at base. Like the pure archers, the 100% pure auto is a glasscannon. It sacrifices everything for damage.

Pure Automech
    Str – 111
    Spirit – 42/52/64
    Talent – 80/90
    Health – base
    Agi – everything that’s left

Str 111 covers AS spiked armor, gloves/boots/brace in ms 80d as well as a minimum str ms great shield (gs is the first shield with 20% base block). I will leave spirit up to you depending on just how pure you wanna go, my personal prefences is slowly raising spirit with the levels. A raid is more than enough op to lvl 70. Once you get your tier 4 skills, the mana cost starts to raise. I recommend changing to trans at 80 and murky at 95, but as I said, in the end that’s up to you. Talent 80/90 as above. 80 for bows but 90 if you wanna have the choice of a javalin with a shield. This build is still pure so health is base, however feel free to add a little just don’t overdo it. You are still not meant to get hit, so don’t try to tank. That’s what the golem is for.

Balanced Automech

Str – 150
    Spirit – 42/52/64
    Talent – 80/90
    Health – base + personal prefences
    Agi – everything else

Str 150 covers all ms shields as well as an AS wyvern armor which pretty much covers you all the way to 99. Nothing to add to talent and spirit I didn’t say already. Now, a balanced build have options the pure doesn’t have. The higher armors means more def/abs and better survivability, this means you can actually tank a few mobs at the time in your level areas. You will do less damage than a pure, but you don’t have to waste time to avoid getting hit nearly as much. The balanced build is the easiest build for levelling of the 3 builds, however the pure builds are superior in later hunting areas.

Personally I recommend starting with a balanced and then use cashshop stones when you dont wanna level anymore and change to pure for hunting.

Archers/Atas vs Automechs
    The pure archer and the pure automech is very alike. Both got pets to hide behind. But where the archer dont have the option of a 1-handed weapon, the automech can change to ata style and use a jav and shield for better survivel. The automech is both playstyles in one. But the main difference is that the automech dont have any spamable skills and therefor relays heavy on his faster attack speed. Also while both ata and archers are addicted to mana with capital A, the automech are only in need of a mana pot if drained by witches/chaos cara.

However If your goal with your char is damage, you should pick either ata or archer. Though Yedang specified that the mech is a master of all equipments, the mechs agi formula is a mess. Archers and Atas gain way more damage from agi that the mech does. Sad but true.

If you still have questions, feel free to pm me either here or in game. My ign is SpiritRage.

---Note---
    Mods please sticky this. Hopefully someone else will cover the rest of the mech builds.
    Kamica - 12x prs - OHxR3B1RTH (main char)
    Kamicana - 10x ata
    SpiritRage - 11x automech
    Kasmic - 11x ks
    Kamira - lvl 6x personal shop located on valento server

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Automech Guide

100% pure Automech
    Str - 92
    Spirit – 36
    Talent - 80/90
    Health - base
    Agi - everything theres left

Why Str 92 ? Thats the max str needed for MS bows. Now, MS bows are rare, you dont wanna risk not being able to use one when you finally get it. 92 str also covers an AS FMA, AS/ATA gaunts/boots and a MS blaze. Your last bracelet will be a ms justice bracelet (lvl 70).
    Spirit 36 is the max spirit needed for later bows, this also covers ms sparky and magic jewelry. Talent 80 is the requirement for bows (except a few which can be skipped) However I recommend raising talent to 90 to cover javelins requirement too, that will give you a 1-handed weapon allowing you to use your shield in a pinch. The 100% pure build is not supposed to get hit at all and therefore can leave health at base. Like the pure archers, the 100% pure auto is a glasscannon. It sacrifices everything for damage.
    be advised however, max-str for a MS Blaze Shield is 95, so you might not be able to wear every Blaze available...

also, the 90 Tal shouldn't be just a recommendation in my opinion. they are a must. using no shield means you will die against ranged monsters otherwise, since you don't have a fancy passive skill that let's you dodge attacks. also, mechs get ES, 11 block for free are well worth it...besides, it's not like you'll need the 10 (9 non-mandatory) points you put into ES otherwise, since MMW & Automation are pretty much the only skills you will need otherwise (Spark/Sparkshield would also be useless without a shield, am i right? )

You know you are Shin Its just that most old school pure would only use bows, which is why Im putting it as a recommention. Cant force them to spend those 10 points xtra needed for jav, but it does do a great deal for survivel.
    Kamicana - 10x ata
    Kasmic - 11x ks

Thanks for the guide ^^

would it be stupid to start an automech if I have an 85 ata already?
    im playing with creating a mech for long now... always seems fun.

The messed up Agi->Dmg formula worries me though...
    <div>@TrueSelenis</div>

Nah automech and ata are different playstyles. I personally find the automech more relaxing to play, since he have the golem. However your Ata will be faster to xp due to spam skills. I say go for it and try it, if you dont like it just return to your ata. Automechs are really a love/hate class, either you love it or you will hate it.
    Kamicana - 10x ata
    Kasmic - 11x ks

Yes, I realize i'm reviving a REALLY old thread. But this should be stickied anyway so I don't feel so bad...

Couple of things i'd like to ask you about:
    1. For each build, what is your recommendation for aging/mixing of your gear?
    2. After you finish lvling the basic automech tier 1-3 skills, what skill would you recommend lvling? (for example, i'm currently lvling spark)
    3. Since this guide is now over a year old, have you changed your opinion on some of your advice? I'm only saying this because I've noticed your char is a balanced build and you use it for hunting, which kind of goes against the advice you gave on switching to pure when you start hunting.

I have played on all three different types of builds that spirit lists here and can say without a doubt that a balanced build is the most fun and effective. I'd even argue that the dmg dealt is greater overall with a balanced build then a pure because you don't have to focus so much on dodging enemies and you flinch less.

One thing I do have a problem with in this build is raising spirit beyond 42. Yes, it is true that at 42 spr you can't use every single skill (Golem, Mag Sphere, Auto, and if using jav, ES) in one mana bar. but I find that a simple medium mana pot does the trick. Usually when i'm leveling I have to use 1 mana pot when I arrive at the spawn and then I'm usually good since each skill tends to run out at a different time and i've usually regenerated the required mana by that time.

One more question, is it true that the animation for using a bow at spd 10 is slightly faster then using a jav? I remember reading a guide years ago on ptp that stated the animation was faster with bows. I've always been to lazy to go check it out myself so I figured i'd ask you.
    Last edited by cazafex; November 29th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
    Kaidoh 9x Automech - Member of Eternal
    Any former Vengeance (EPT-Mardanos and PTP(NetPlay)-Migal) members out there? pm me!

I recommend leveling a power- or sparkmech and then resetting to an automech when you have the desired level.

bla bla balanced is best bla bla...

noone's listening to advice anyway.

when it comes to mixing/aging: age shield, bow and jav, mix armor.

when it comes to spirit: noone forces you. arguments pro and contra have been made. there's another thread on this very same page about it. if you think 42 is enough, then stick to it. spirit gives recommendations based on experience as a 10x balanced build.
    Last edited by Exarchia; November 29th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    viðrar vel til loftárása

Quote Originally Posted by cazafex View Post
    Yes, I realize i'm reviving a REALLY old thread. But this should be stickied anyway so I don't feel so bad...

Couple of things i'd like to ask you about:
    1. For each build, what is your recommendation for aging/mixing of your gear?
    2. After you finish lvling the basic automech tier 1-3 skills, what skill would you recommend lvling? (for example, i'm currently lvling spark)
    3. Since this guide is now over a year old, have you changed your opinion on some of your advice? I'm only saying this because I've noticed your char is a balanced build and you use it for hunting, which kind of goes against the advice you gave on switching to pure when you start hunting.
    Yeah mods neglected to pin my guide so I really doesnt mind ppl bumping it when needing an answer. If Mods gets upset, maybe they should pin it which I asked them to when I made this guide.

1) If you are too poor to afford backup gear mix your weap/shield and armor. If you can afford backup weap/shield age is the way to go. Always mix armor, low str as is really hard to get and if you ever get a 2nd you can try to age that.
    2) Since automechs cant pvp and I get dragged to BC anyways, I made the choice to get the lvl 100 questsword and for that purpose I leveled GS and Maxi. I dont have much str to back it up, but I can kill ... some... Earth went for sparkshield and spark, so its really up to you which toy skills you want.
    3) For me still being balanced its mainly because I hate being pure *roll eyes* I did go pure... several times... each time last under a week before I get frustated enough to change back to balanced. Yes pure got higher damage (slightly) but wastes so much time avoid getting hit that the difference in damage gets lost. Atleast with a balanced you can survive a hit and even tank a bit in xp areas. I keep my pure gear on a mule and a few times a year I decide to try again.... Last try ended with me reversing to balanced with base health.

For your note on spirit I will add this.
    Higher spirit = sealed jewelry = extra hp and mana + faster regeneration.
    Extra hp from jewelry = more chance of surviving.
    Extra mana from points and jewelry = bigger mana pool = able to recast golem ofter = less pot useage = more mana to sell = more gold to backup gear.
    Extra regeneration = regenerate mana faster ergo less mana pots needed once again. Higher spirit will allow you to get endgame jewelry as well, like val rings some day.
    But as my guide said, which spirit you decide are up to you. I personally like not needing mana pots at all, unless I get drained.

For the bow/jav question. Yes and no. the problem is that if you stand at the limit range the javalin animation breaks and forces your char to step forward a little between each shot which ofc slows down the overall damage of the jav. If you stand close enough to avoid the bugged range, bow and jav are equal fast. However when running towards the target your char will always stop at limit range triggering the bug. Bows dont have this issue.

Feel free to contact me in game if you need.

---
    And dont mind Exarchia. She just an addicted pure build Everyone gonna choose what they prefer. Exarchia can keep pure build, I stick to balanced.
    Last edited by Spirit; November 29th, 2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Kamicana - 10x ata
    Kasmic - 11x ks

Quote Originally Posted by Finnhitz View Post
    I recommend leveling a power- or sparkmech and then resetting to an automech when you have the desired level.
    lol thanks for the concern but i've already reached my desired lvl
    (Also on my main char I was automech from lvl 1. Yup, i used a murky gemmed MS Hand crossbow til lvl 30, b4 xp events)

Thanks for the responses guys. I realize there is another thread on this same page talking about this stuff but I thought bringing this guide back to the front was more worth it. Actually I had one more question for you guys, about how many automech's do you think there are currently on valento? I just remember back in the p2p days there was only like 2 or 3 (one guy was a weird hybrid build) on all of mardanos... When i came back to pt i was surprised to see a few autos running around town.
    Kaidoh 9x Automech - Member of Eternal
    Any former Vengeance (EPT-Mardanos and PTP(NetPlay)-Migal) members out there? pm me!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast