View Poll Results: Has this thread helped or taught you more about the video options in MAT?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

35 83.33%
  • no

7 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAT Video Settings Tutorial (And Performance Optimization)

Post MAT Video Settings Tutorial (And Performance Optimization)

Welcome to my first MAT Tutorial (<- Enough of a reason to bear with me)

I'll be discussing the video settings found in-game and how to optimize Mission Against Terror for optimal running.

Contents:
    Locating The Options
    The Big Four
    Resolution
    Color Settings
    Aelotropic
    Detail
    The Visual Appealers
    Full Screen/Windowed Mode
    Brightness
    The Performance Thugs
    Shadow
    Vertical Sync/v-sync
    Trillinear Filtration

Locating The Options
    To start off, the video settings can be accessed in two different ways (Depending on where you are):
    In lobby = A sub setting of the Game settings which can be accessed on the top right of the screen by clicking "settings" and then on the "video tab"

In game = Locate the "esc" key on your keyboard (top left) and press it. From there, you will be welcomed with a screen that has the option "settings" on it. Click "settings". From there, select "video".

The Big Four
    There are four very important options that could potentially hinder your gameplay.
    Let's have a look at each setting, and their options:

Resolution

What it is: It is what it says it is! It is the resolution of the game.
    Options: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024.
    Best optimization: To get the most of the resolution, three things come into play: 1. Game resolution support; 2. Monitor/Display support; 3. Video Card Power. Basically, we can take away the first thing that comes into play in most games (Game resolution support) as we are limited to the options above. What really matters here is your monitor's resolution and how good your graphics card can handle video.
    To check your Monitor's resolution, follow these instructions:
    Windows XP:
    Right click desktop, select properties, and then click on the settings tab on the top.

Windows Vista/7: Right click on your desktop and select screen resolution.

Once you have seen your monitor's resolution options, chose MAT's resolution. Keep in mind that you cannot chose a resolution that is higher than your monitor's maximum display resolution and that the higher the resolution, the more your frames will drop, but the better the quality. If you have a medium-good video card, you should probably go with 1024x768 and up (If you have a monitor to support it), otherwise, go with a lower resolution for better performance.

Color Settings

What it is: The number of colors displayed on the screen. (color depth) This refers to the amount of video memory that is required for each screen pixel.
    Options: 16bit, 32bit.
    Best optimization: 32bit displays twice as many colors as 16bit making anything that has high color detail look better and more detailed. Some cannot tell the difference between 16bit and 32bit, likewise there is a performance hit if you chose to go with 32bit. If you have a medium-good graphics card, set it at 32bit. If you have an integrated - low graphics card, mess around and see how much of a performance boost you may get if you would rather go with 16bit.

Aelotropic

What it is: Might refer to Anti-Aliasing(?) Anti-Aliasing basically helps to reduce those "stair like" edged on renders such as characters and guns. (It may not refer to anti-aliasing, and if it does not, disregard the information below.)
    Options: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    Best optimization: Usually, increasing the screen resolution is a better tradeoff than turning on anti-aliasing. This option should be at around 1 for integrated - medium video cards and at around 4-6 on high-end video cards seeing as anti-aliasing requires loads of graphics performance.

Detail

What it is: Allows you to chose the options for video detail (characters, weapons, environment and so on).
    Options: Low, Med(ium), High.
    Best optimization: Completely depends on your video card. This is self-explanatory. If you have a low end or integrated graphics card, go with low. If you have a medium graphics card, go with medium, and of course, if you have a high end graphics card, hit it up with High.

The Visual Appealers
    The settings under this group is user-preferred. Other than the information listed below, what the choice is does not really matter much.

Full Screen/Windowed Mode

What it is: Allows you to chose whether you want to play MAT in windowed or full screen mode.
    Options: Full Screen, Window.
    Best optimization: Recommended to stay at full screen. Windowed mode sometimes requires more FPS to render the video at a high quality. In addition, if you are playing in windowed mode, you are always at the risk of clicking outside the application on another ending up interrupting your gameplay.

Brightness

What it is: Gives you the option to change your brightness accordingly.
    Options: Slider: 1 - 100.
    Best Optimization: This again, is one of those options that would please you differently. Chose the brightness that you think fits right. Keep in regards your room lighting and all. This option does not have a noticeable impact on performance.

The Performance Thugs
    These options also make/break the game's performance. These options should only be resorted to or looked at if you have a medium - high end graphics/video card.

Shadow

What it is: Lets the user chose whether he/she wants to view shadows (objects, environment, characters and so on).
    Options: Checked, Unchecked.
    Best optimization: Turn this option off if you have no - low graphics card, and check the option on if you have a medium - high end video card

Vertical Sync/v-sync

What it is: When checked, the v-sync caps (does not allow to go over) the Frames Per Second to your monitor's refresh rate (usually at 60hz). For example, if your monitor has a refresh rate of 85hz then v-sync will not allow the FPS to exceed 85Frames Per Second.
    Best optimization: Simply, you need a graphics card that can keep up with your Refresh rate if you wish to enable this option. If you have a graphics card that is capable of 20FPS and you have a refresh rate of 60hz, you get bad buffer requests. So for example, r[1] will give you the first frame and because you have v-sync enabled, it assumes that the FPS is around the same speed as the Monitor's refresh rate. So if r[2] gets drawn while r[1] is not done, you have just skipped r[2] (any frame) until r[3]. Essentially, you are getting a worse FPS than you should if you enable v-sync on a low end video card.
    Likewise, if you have a graphics card that can go over your monitor's refresh limit, it is advised you check this option so you do not see a fluctuation in FPS.
    If you have v-sync disabled, you are at risk of image tearing.

Trillinear Filtration

What it is: Triple Buffering renders the next frame into the buffer if the video card has time.
    Best optimization: Turn this option on if you have v-sync enabled, if you do not have v-sync enabled, it is up to you to mess around with it and see if you get an FPS hit when it is on/off.

That's it!
    Well, of course you have the option to restore to defaults. Do that if you realize that you are getting horrible FPS all of a sudden, but other than that, there are no more video options

Thanks for sticking through the long ride in understanding and optimizing the video options in MATOnline!

If you would like to add something, or notice that something is wrong, please leave a comment so I can fix it right away!

~Epic
    Last edited by EpicMAT; September 26th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

I think this deserves a sticky, don't you!? Well done mate, thanks for posting this.

Thanks for the sticky and the props! Hope this helps others!

Quote Originally Posted by Fervid View Post
    I think this deserves a sticky, don't you!? Well done mate, thanks for posting this.
    I agree.. Mod, GMs please sticky this !!!

Great post Epic, I'm gonna try the V-Sync+Trilinear today, see if it does any difference!

Great Post!

Thanks all

Can't wait to get my next tutorial out! (When I get some free time on my hands)
    <P>&nbsp;</P>

This post got stickied like 2 minutes after it was posted. lmfao. GJ EPIC. Toronto FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by RedIceBlaze View Post
    This post got stickied like 2 minutes after it was posted. lmfao. GJ EPIC. Toronto FTW.
    He said in another post he was making a tutorial, so I waited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fervid View Post
    He said in another post he was making a tutorial, so I waited for it.
    And I thank you for that ! I'm actually really starting to like this game, let alone the community!
    <P>&nbsp;</P>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast