Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern M-Gears and You

Addition to LazyTriangle’s guide:

How to Combat B-Gears.

B-Gears are the biggest threat to an M-Gear. The vast amounts of damage they output in a single shot can still damage you even if you have crap tons of defense coming out your ass.

There are a few ways to avoid B-Gears 1v1. These are all, of course, from my experience.

1 – Vs. Toggle Bombers.
    Toggle bombers are those who activate bombing mode right before they bomb. This is, of course, 80% of B-Gears. If a B-Gear is at close range, and he activates a bombing mode, save yourself some SP healing and barrel roll. When he flies by you, quickly Reverse Engine around to face him, pewpewing as you go. When he tries to bomb again, rinse and repeat. He’ll die eventually.

2 – Vs. Delay Bombers
    The other 20% of B-Gears are the Delay Bombers. Basically there’re two main types of delay bombers, and you’ll have to get killed by them a few times to figure out how to avoid them

Delay Bomber type 1 : These activate a bombing mode like Toggle Bombers, but at the last minute hold the S key, wait until you roll, THEN bomb you. These can be incredibly annoying if you don’t know how to evade them. Usually what I do, boost straight through them, without rolling. Circle around, RE, and keep them in your sights. ALWAYS KEEP B-GEARS IN YOUR SIGHTS. Of course this will only work a few times, but oh well.

Delay Bomber type 2
    : These activate a bombing mode, fly through you while you roll, then TA/BMM and bomb you up the ass/in the face. It’s totally possible to evade at least SOME of the bawoos from said B-Gear. To do this, think like an I-Gear. As SOON as you fly through them, turn hard on one of the screen diagonals. DON’T STOP BOOSTING. Most likely they will not be expecting this and their shots will miss. Again this will only work a few times. People learn, you know.

How to Combat A-Gears.

A-Gears can be threatening based on how much they hit you for. As LazyTriangle said further up this page, if they hit you for 100+, you’ll most likely die. In this situation you have three options. Either get out of range, fly behind something, or zoom forwards and minrange them. This all depends on the distance you are from them.

Flying out of range is self-explanatory. Just turn away and hold the spacebar. You may also fly behind some cover in the process, so just chill out there and ask for a BG to OHKO said AG on mapchat/TS/Vent. MGs are meant to survive, remember. Don’t sacrifice your life to get an extra killmark. Unless you’re me who has no defense.

If you want to get an extra killmark, you can do what I do:
    1 - Lock the AG from max radar range.
    2 - Hold spacebar and the right mouse button.
    3 - At the last minute before the missiles hit, purify the AG. If you're like me and hit 1ks, AG will most likely die. If you aren't, he'll have to waste some kits.

Minranging can be done in many ways. There are primarily two methods I use:

1 – Spinny Thing/Figure 8 Method
    This method basically involves you flying through the A-Gear, REing around, launching one volley, flying through them again. You create a sort of “figure 8” while doing this. I learned this technique and it's name from Jaguars, so credit to him. I can give a video demonstration/better explanation a bit later.

2 – Siege Method
    This is a little trick I adopted from a video I saw on YouTube. Basically, what you do is fly right on top the A-Gear, rotate your camera downwards, and spam RE while shooting your standards down at him. Of course you need quite a bit of standard DPS for this, and it’s most effective while the A-Gear is in barrier, or you don’t have enough space to do the Spinny Thing.
    Here's a crappy demonstration. IGNORE THE TS CHAT. Lol

Don't mind me dying. That always happens.

How to Combat M-Gears

If you’re silly like me and have pierce coming out your ass, or have something like this:

you can totally shoot other MGs. There’s only three MGs I honestly can’t kill 1v1 (assumption, btw). Technically an MG will always be able to target you. You can do one of two things while fighting an MG.

1 – Make them waste SP
    To do this, watch the orientation of their gear and position yourself so you are always to their side or behind them. This will force them to constantly RE while trying to lock you. Most MGs don’t know how to do the IG tricks I do, so they just RE until they see you. Just don’t stray too far or you’ll kill the whole thing.

2 – DPS Fight while wasting SP
    Basically you fly at min speed towards their face, spamming them with as much DPS as you can muster. If you get too close, DON’T reverse. The MG has a 99% chance of REing to keep his valid angle on you. Of course this will make him waste SP, and potentially reverse into a wall, giving you a slight advantage.

Another way to combat MGs is similar to the way you attack AGs. Lock from max radar range, and missile train them. 90% of the time they will RE straight into your train, where you appropriately purify and enjoy your killmark.

Another way to piss of MGs that have <1000 SP (like Lazy over there) is to purify the living daylights out of them. Everytime they rebuff, that's SP wasted that could have been used to heal/COH/RE/Scan. Of course this gives their formation ragings multiple times, so it can be risky based on who is in the MG's formation.

I might write more stuff later. This is what I could think of right now.
    Last edited by RobotUnicornMG; May 13th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.

A Mechanical Equine was here.

RobotUnicorn - 8x MG - The one who's been farmed by everybody.

KitkaVixen - 7x BG - Typical BG who delays.

Mikail - 7x AG - Just happens to farm hero AGs with 0-siege.

War Tatics Continued
    Countering The B-Gear (Since everything else was covered by the guy above me)

This is basically more Tactics that you can use to avoid specific gears. I already posted a lot of things that you can do on the main post but you can use this one to counter specific gears.

Countering - The B-Gear
    Possibly the most biggest thing that can take you down in an instant is the B-Gear, otherwise known as the Shotgunner (Lawl, Avorien). If this big shotter gets close enough to you, he can and will (If you don't know what to do and have **** equipment that is) take you out in an instant. When you face off these gears, you can usually counter most of them easily with a well timed barrel roll (DO A BARREL ROLL (A or D Twice)) or just simply maneuvering out of the way because they're that stupid and that generic.

However, there are some (The very few that can) that do a tactic known as Delay Bombing, a tactic used by B-Gears to make you roll early and get you when you are most vulnerable. If you find a skilled B-Gear that actually does this, you want to avoid them as much as possible. If you can't evade them or get someone to get them off your ass, do your best to learn their tactics and roll correctly. There's always a way to counter a tactic with another tactic and it just so happens I have one (Lucky right? Right).

This tactic is, Learn how to roll. Simple Right? Wrong. A lot of people know how to roll but not the right way. One way to learn how to do correct rolling is by dueling some well known, skilled B-Gears who actually Delay Bomb and not just Back Move Mach to double their explosion radius (coughcoughsyocoughcough). Try to learn how to counter specific tactics. Learn their own tactics and make your own to counter theirs. No matter what, you're gonna have to find out how to roll them properly so do it with Trail and Error.

Anyways, theres also other things that B-Gears like to do (Mainly Generic B-Gears) like Back Move Mach if they don't get you the first time or make you roll and then Turn Around to get you on the rebound. These are all Generic things that I've seen a lot of B-Gears use and they're fairly easy to counter.
    If you see a B-Gear use BMM, usually what you want to do is to dive downwards or fly directly upwards. It usually makes their chances of hitting you (With that crappy bug that makes their Explosion radius double because of splitting that Syo uses a bit too god damn much) many times lesser and makes their use of that skill almost worth ****.
    If you see them use their TA on the rebound, use the same tactic I said for BMM; Dive downwards or Raise quickly upwards. Or if you want to be more sneakier, Avoid their first chance of an ABM on you with doing the Dive or Raise tactic and Roll their rebound. Usually works but B-Gears will find you out and not even TA and get you with their derp 94 E3s or 6 E3s or something (Damn Lovebreak and your damn generic ways. You're too ****ing easy to rolollolololol even if you have the stuff you have).

Another thing; If you are ganking an AGear or something that do1esn't move and sits there like a tank, KEEP AN EYE ON THAT RADAR ON THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. One way you can tell its an BGear is that they don't usually fire on you even if they lock and they usually come very close to you on your radar. Even though its hard to tell whos enemy or friendly on that damn radar, you'll get used to it. I did, so you can too. Anyways, if you happen to see that orange triangle coming at you bro, roll that **** when he's in that last ring on the radar. More than likely he will try to get you when he's at that center ring so... yeah.

Last thing; If you are running for your life with a 400m/s engine and theres loads of numbers trailing on your butt, prepare for Reverse Engine Heal Roll on them when you can. This is another instance you can use that radar to your advantage because B-Gears are somehow just as fast as I-Gears and you can avoid their **** fairly easy if you know how to. They won't (usually) see it coming and try to GBM or ABM you when they get a chance. So prep your roll when you see those numbers coming.
    Also, if you see this there's a tactic that I have if you just so happen catch yourself low to the ground. What everyone usually calls it is "Decking" but I call it a tactic. Now, once again, if you catch yourself low to the ground and a B-Gear you know that can rape you, prepare to do a direct 90 Degree turn downwards. If you do it right, it will launch you straight upwards (Usually 180 Degrees or more) and confuses the **** out of the B-Gear. However, don't use this tactic if you're low on health or you might actually do a Deck and be a ****. Don't be one of those guys.
    Last edited by LazyTriangle; May 14th, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
    LV 8x MG ANI/Artemis

How to Combat I-Gears

I-Gears can be a **** of a nuisance, even more than AGs. The beautiful thing is, once you have enough prob, they drop like the annoying flies they are. Fighting IGs is straightforwards. There are two main types of IGs.

The Turnfighters - These like to turn and spin around you, using TA and BMM to gain locks and pewpew you till you die. Well, funny thing is, you're an M-Gear. You can turn faster than they can. It's pretty easy to match their turn angle so they'll never see you while you pewpew from behind ^^
    Basically you want to stay to one of their sides. Behind you could get TA'd or BMMed, and though their onslaught is avoidable, it's easier to stay completely out of their lock to avoid damage. Remember to roll when needed.

The Hit and runners - These can be very annoying. I learned from dueling SoB that you DO NOT STAY STILL against these types of I-Gears. When they run, chase them. When they turn and pewpew, barrel roll, and boost around in an arc. REing, while turning quickly, leaves you practically still in the air. You want to keep moving to minimise the amount of volleys they can get in on you. Also remember you're slower than they are, so don't expect to gain on them.

EXTRA TACTICS

Dodging Without Rolling
    This is a little thing I learned from my years of Ace Combat that also apply to Ace.
    Basically, in Ace Combat there's a technique called a stiffarm. What occurs is two aircraft are flying straight towards each other. Both of them shoot, and before they eat a missile train, they pitch sharply down to dodge. The missiles aren't able to turn fast enough to follow you at the angle you fly at, so they ALWAYS miss once you time it right.

Well in Ace, missiles keep their lock if you don't barrel roll them. I usually do this when close to the ground or other objects, so missiles crash into terrain. This also only works with a fast engine. What you do, is when flying straight towards another M or I gear (or B-Gear, though the timing for those is different), you want to pitch down on one of the screen diagonals to let missiles slip by you. The absolutely beautiful thing is, you can also roll after you pitch down to evade missiles still on track for you, then RE so the looping missiles have even less distance to reach you. They then either loop over you again, or fly straight at your face where you can either simply barrel roll, or repeat the procedure.

Stiffarming B-Gears
    Stiffarming B-Gears is different. This works on all B-Gears, even delay bombers. What you do, is when the B-Gear activated ABM from 300 or so out, dive down on one of the corners and they will ALWAYS miss. This only works if you're boosting, and remember not to turn too much. The whole point is that they can't turn fast enough at the speed both of you are going (works incredibly well if both of you are boosting) to hit you accurately with ABM. Pitching downwards works better as your speed increases, making it harder for him to turn after you. Also since he turns down as well, his speed also increases.

Trolololing On Gatecamps
    If you have a fair amount of survivability, help out your team and nation by flying right in the middle of the camp, tanking as much as possible, trying to drag as much attention as possible. The whole point of this is to form a massive distraction to cut the strength of the camp by as much as possible, to allow your nation to pour in.

Might add more later.
    Last edited by RobotUnicornMG; May 14th, 2012 at 08:35 PM.

A Mechanical Equine was here.

RobotUnicorn - 8x MG - The one who's been farmed by everybody.

KitkaVixen - 7x BG - Typical BG who delays.

Mikail - 7x AG - Just happens to farm hero AGs with 0-siege.

quick question...what cpu and engines should i use at lvl 80? i will be able to use any of them for the most part but i will probably keep my spirit down to 1k and pump the rest into attack or shield or something.

At lvl 80, I like the wingo jazz cpu lvl 70 that gives 20 fuel 35 shield. I try to only put points into stats that give max amounts(def,spirit). They are a rare drop from goldies in DC. I probably spent 10+ hours grinding with a form in there and only seen 1 drop. now that i'm 92, I use a lvl 90 cpu

There is also a lvl 80 fuel/shield/defense that is super usefull.

What is wrong with using Supernova? Range, prob, speed, VA, RA... It has many good stats and the firing pattern isn't a problem for MGs. You just can't go full RA with them, unless I am mistaken and RA also reduces the delay between volleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurdurderp
    why do mgears need weapons?

its not like you can shoot while your tabbed into your other gear anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityEdrill View Post
    What is wrong with using Supernova? Range, prob, speed, VA, RA... It has many good stats and the firing pattern isn't a problem for MGs. You just can't go full RA with them, unless I am mistaken and RA also reduces the delay between volleys.
    You can shoot 2-3 volleys with a RA arrow/enril in the time you shoot the full thing with a hawky..
    Higher your FPS/game performance with this: http://************/pd9uqdx
    Youtube Channel: http://************/mj9slvx
    Change your signature with ease: http://forum.subagames.com/profile.php?do=editsignature

Quote Originally Posted by Involution View Post
    In the last month, IronlEye has absolutely no hack logs on his account, for what that's worth. Most players get even a few false positives.

It's almost... suspicious...

Got any questions ingame ACE related, feel free to send me a message via Skype: Ox.Cart

Quote Originally Posted by InsanityEdrill View Post
    The firing pattern is horrid and takes a while to connect, and hawks are in general worse than tongs and arrows as raw weapons, and MGs use their weapons without any firing pattern changes. Arrows also have the bonus of being the easiest missile type to use due to the high VA, great pattern and huge damage.

Okay, how about shield builds? Since DEF is logarithmic, your first few points give more DEF than the later ones. Shield also grows exponentially, the final jump from 297 to 300 gives about 300 shield.

AceCalcs - Stat Calculator

This build loses only 14% defense and some spirit (could be more important than I think, but you'll have to repair less) and gains 10k shield, while maintaining a considerable amount of defense. I didn't check the level 102 CPUs yet so the stat distribution could be even better.
    Last edited by InsanityEdrill; February 28th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurdurderp
    why do mgears need weapons?

its not like you can shoot while your tabbed into your other gear anyways.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast