Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet The Team! Interview Series - [GM] Involution!

Question Meet The Team! Interview Series - [GM] Involution!

Hey Suba Gamers!

Throughout the next couple of months or so the Suba Games Team will be giving you a little insight into our public figures representing all of our titles! We'll be giving you a series of interviews from Moderators, Community Managers and Game Masters. They'll be talking about thier job here, thier game, and a little bit about themselves.

And....without further a due here is our first interview done by...

[GM] Involution of ACE Online!

So you're a GM. What is it you actually do?

Being a GM means that I handle all sorts of responsibilities. Daily, I spend a lot of my time answering player support tickets, running in-game events, and coordinating with ACE Online's developers in Korea by providing feedback to them on bugs, features and so on. This takes up over half my time in the average day. Sometimes I might even need to spend some time with another game, not just ACE Online!

But, what some people might not realize is that being a GM also includes other stuff - testing out brand-new and upcoming games to get ideas for new features, getting footage and screenshots for the press, doing PR and marketing work by producing newsletters and updates, and doing the bulk of our own quality assurance testing on our games and updates. I also contribute to all of our games by writing up or editing the text on our web sites and forums where needed.

In other words, it's a very diverse sort of job where you end up doing something new every week, or every day. But it's also very fun and rewarding!

What's your typical day as a Game Master?

Roll into the office on the bus in the morning, sit down and check my e-mails for anything important that's come up. Then, I need to choose how to best spend my time. Sometimes that's getting ready to run ACE weekly maintenance almost immediately, or testing an update we received. Usually though, it'll be getting as many support issues out of the way early on as possible. Of course, then comes lunch, the most important part of the working day! After that I tend to do any other non-routine tasks, before finishing up the day by running any events I need to do, or getting a few more player support issues out of the way.

When did you become a GM?

That would be August of last year, though I don't think I was "officially" unveiled to the community with my shiny GM name until September.

What's your favorite Suba game?

Speaking honestly, it's probably ACE Online. Even though I'm not the biggest MMORPG fan out there, ACE has something unique about its gameplay that makes it stand out from not just the rest of our games, but pretty much any MMO I've seen. But, I admit that I do also like MAT quite a bit, for its sheer silliness.

How long have you played games for? What's your favorite?

Too long. Too many. Seriously though, I've been gaming probably since I was about 3-4 years old, starting out either with Nintendo and Genesis games, as well as old PC titles on my dad's 386. If I had to pick one game only out of all that I like most, Deus Ex is probably at the top of the list, but I also love plenty more - the Elder Scrolls series, Thief series, Baldur's Gate series, and on consoles, Metroid, Mario, Zelda.

Favorite thing about the position?

Probably the autonomy. Working as a GM isn't like other jobs. You have a lot of control over what you do and when in your day, and your opinion on things actually matters. That makes it a lot of fun and very satisfying when you see something you worked hard on actually come to life.

What's the strangest or most bizarre thing you've had to deal with?

Probably players insisting that using Cheat Engine isn't hacking because it's called "Cheat" Engine instead of "Hack" Engine. That, or incidents of mysteriously disappearing and reappearing food on the office. I blame Tranzor.

What's your favorite GM command to use?

Honestly, I don't have one in particular, but usually using a few together is entertaining. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I do enjoy a practical joke, and doing things like summoning strange monsters in places they don't belong, or teleporting players to unused or broken maps in the game is funny.

What's your favorite sport or activity?

I used to love hockey as a kid, but during my teens I kind of stopped playing sports. I still stay active by doing a lot of walking instead of riding though - that's one advantage of living in the city.

What are your top three favorite movies?

I'm actually not as much into movies as I am into TV these days, but you can't go wrong with classics like Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Terminator, Blade Runner, James Bond, and so on. More recently I really like the Lord of the Rings films quite a bit too.

What's your favorite music or band?

Again, this is another "too many to count" thing. Generally speaking, I'm a pretty big metalhead, though contrary to popular belief I do enjoy other kinds of music too - jazz, funk, orchestral, ambient electronic and that sort of thing are all great too. Just don't play any pop or country around me, or I'm liable to start whining about it.

Favorite book?

i dun red teh boookz. Really, I haven't read much at all since university, sadly, and I don't have a book I could say is a favorite of mine.

Favorite actor/actresses?

Richard Dean Anderson, who gave us both MacGyver and O'Neill. Everyone else is irrelevant.

Top three favorite cartoons?

The Simpsons were basically my youth and teenage years, and I have what feels like entire seasons memorized. I've been watching a ton of King of the Hill lately, and I think that show is also probably the greatest thing ever. For third it's probably a toss-up between a dozen other shows.

What sorts of hobbies do you have?

Aside from gaming, I've been playing guitar for about 10-11 years now. I have a fairly sizable collection of guitars and amps, and I try to get an hour of practice in every day if I can. I also do music recording and mixing with my own songs, too.

The office _______. (joker, coffee addict, etc.)

The office "guy who likes to go on long boring rants about stuff nobody cares about all the time."

Any updates your willing to share, that you are most excited about?

Well, not much, because the boss would send assassins after me, but I will say that we have some cool stuff in the pipeline, including new games we're picking up that we will be rolling out in the next little while that have not quite been officially announced yet. Those of you who keep an eye on our YouTube channel might have seen some of these, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how people like them.
    Last edited by Kkid; November 8th, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Community Manager of Suba Games
    [privacy policy] [terms and conditions][sitemap][forum rules][game rules]
    [support system][staff list]

PM me here on the Forum, or message me in-game for any help at all!
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...a2a9101dd2.jpg

This is probably the most interesting thing I've read today lol and loved the idea!
    Lets get to know the people behind the tittle
    When will you do the interview Kkid?
    Last edited by Shiono; November 8th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
    [ General Forum Rules ] • [ LH Rules of Conduct ] • [ LH Guides ] • [ Send a ticket ] • [ PM me ]

Find me & my Art! - [ Deviantart ] • [ Facebook ] • [ Twitter ] • [ Ko-Fi ]

Quote Originally Posted by BrunaLH View Post
    This is probably the most interesting thing I've read today lol and loved the idea!
    Lets get to know the people behind the tittle
    When will you do the interview Kkid?
    Yep! I think the schedule I made has me somewhere twords the end of November. Other interviews you will see are other MOD's from other game titles, and even [GM] Edricus who we've seen in a lot of our Facebook pictures doing some internal testing.
    Community Manager of Suba Games
    [privacy policy] [terms and conditions][sitemap][forum rules][game rules]
    [support system][staff list]

PM me here on the Forum, or message me in-game for any help at all!
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...a2a9101dd2.jpg

Man your Boring lol. i almost slept through the introduction dang! tell them to give you a better name! i feel sorry for you man, don cry behind the scene don worry it's ok.
    <b><i><u><span style=font-family: Palatino Linotype>Smoke a good blunt</span></u></i></b>

Quote Originally Posted by Edchina View Post
    Man your Boring lol. i almost slept through the introduction dang! tell them to give you a better name! i feel sorry for you man, don cry behind the scene don worry it's ok.
    i apologise for my language but why is edchina alsways such an A-hole, god damn it dude...

He....he forgot to add "bouncing on yoga balls" as part of our GM work. I actually like those.

GM Tranzor

Lol Sephyrel, cause i am, got a problem?
    <b><i><u><span style=font-family: Palatino Linotype>Smoke a good blunt</span></u></i></b>

Quote Originally Posted by Tranzor View Post
    He....he forgot to add "bouncing on yoga balls" as part of our GM work. I actually like those.

GM Tranzor
    ^and this how it REALLY works in there....
    You guys are such a lazy butts! Just sitting in there bouncing on yoga balls while we're witing for the game... and you don't even invite us!!!! lol joke xp
    Please don't kill me TwT
    [ General Forum Rules ] • [ LH Rules of Conduct ] • [ LH Guides ] • [ Send a ticket ] • [ PM me ]

Find me & my Art! - [ Deviantart ] • [ Facebook ] • [ Twitter ] • [ Ko-Fi ]

I wanna bounce on yoga balls
    The cake is not a lie. The cake is real you are fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Edchina View Post
    Lol Sephyrel, cause i am, got a problem?
    not a problem, just dont like it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast