Thread: Need help with Axe Mercenary

Default Need help with Axe Mercenary

I have had problems finding a good build for Axe Mercenary. I've looked at the ones on the wiki, but they don't seem right. Along with that, I've been wonder if there are any subs, besides Doctor subs, should be used in order to level Axe Mercenary faster. I know it is easier to find a team with Spear Mercenary and I might go with it, but I rather go with Axe Mercenary altogether due to the amount of time I have to play this game each day.

So my question is how do I build and if you may, tell me any and all skill subs that may help me out with killing monsters, please.

IMO,

Ax Merc is basically hit hard, and tank hard.

Main stats to consider: Dur(atk and def), Pow(atk), and Phy(atk, hp, block rate). Personally I go full Dur, but I'm still considering to put some Phy.

Skills to consider: Better Blocker and Precision Strike. I don't have much experiences with the damage skills so can't say anything there.

Subs to consider:
    - Thief's Close Combat(CB, RoL, Premonition, FF)(survival)

- Hunter's Hunter Instinct(RFA, Aim(stack with Premonition, but not with Lash Out), Concentrated Fury(optional, doesn't stack with Burning Rage and AoA, so probably also not stack with Precision Strike))(hit fast and hard)

- BM's Martyr Arts(Lash Out(stack with Premonition, not with Aim), Burning Rage & AoA(doesn't stack with Precision Strike, use it as backup/main atk buff))(hit fast and hard)

- MA's Fortifying Force, Tranquil Turtle, and Channel Energy(survival)

- Fencer's Targeted Attacks(various debuffs)(debuffs)

These subs have the lowest job penalty possible which also have something useful. Ofc, you can always sub anything. *coughDancingThiefcough*

What I have here is a crummy build I planned for aspd ax merc. I have little experiences in Ax Merc, hope you can use them.

Also: Check this thread for some additional info.
    Last edited by Arthzy; May 2nd, 2015 at 01:24 PM.
    The midget Arth_Avant, is just passing by here, like every other midgets do.

What I did (And will do again, eventually) is this;

Stats;
    2 Pow 1 Dex. With low Dex, you will miss your hits. 28 Dex should be fine and then be pure Power. Or you can keep it as 2 Pow 1 Dex. You can also go 2 Pow 1 Agi once your Dex is 28. The Agi may help you to give you some Evasion (But if you will have Thief as sub, then don't do it).

Subs;
    I recommend BM and Doc. BM for attack buffs, and Doc for obvious reasons. If you got a Doc with Inner Magic, better. This may "suck" most of your MP, but nothing you can't fix with some MP pots (Which you'd always carry some, just in case).

If you are going to Duo (Usually another Doc/Sub muse) then you can replace Doc with another class, specially Thief or Hunter. That's most up to you.

Skills (I will name only the mercenary ones):
    Splitting Chop, Owl Slash, Precision Strike and Better Blocker are a MUST to have, in my opinion.
    You may want some other if you got spare points, but if you do not, then just save for the skills I told you.

Skills you SHOULDN'T get by any reason;
    Mock Monsters. You aren't a tank... You can get Taunt if you want.
    All or Nothing. I assure you, don't get it. May look good that +60% of attack. But you will lose % of Defense. And at lv 9, you lose 90% for only 54%... Not worth it in my opinion.

And for the last... Wear Light Armor. Yes, the LA. Why not HA, you may ask? Wearing HA will make you squish against Magical Attacks. LA won't do that. HA will slow down your attacks. LA won't do that. HA will give you a lot of defense, sure, and LA will still give you defense. But why LA over HA? Easy. Wearing LA will bost your physical attack, something HA don't.

As Axe Merc, you aren't a tank, but a pure (And awesome) Damage Dealer. Sure, you'll need to take the aggro away from allies (If duo/trio or pet). But you'll be only killing 1-3 at time. So better to kill them faster than tanking, right?

That's all I can say to you. About where to lvl, it's the usual places as Solo.

Enjoy.
    Dream of Mirror Online Player.

CB IGN: Juggernaut.

Quote Originally Posted by MCKOVS View Post
    And for the last... Wear Light Armor. Yes, the LA. Why not HA, you may ask? Wearing HA will make you squish against Magical Attacks. LA won't do that. HA will slow down your attacks. LA won't do that. HA will give you a lot of defense, sure, and LA will still give you defense. But why LA over HA? Easy. Wearing LA will bost your physical attack, something HA don't.
    Neither Light Armor nor Heavy Armor give magic defense, so they're both squishy against magic enemies. If you're fighting magic enemies, you'll want Dancewear. If you're fighting physical enemies, you'll want Light Armor.

And to add on to Blademaster subs, you may want to get Concentration along with the other buffs. Owl Slash has pretty low accuracy, but it can hit really hard.
    Last edited by Zhengzhang; May 2nd, 2015 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HinoXem View Post
    I have had problems finding a good build for Axe Mercenary. I've looked at the ones on the wiki, but they don't seem right. Along with that, I've been wonder if there are any subs, besides Doctor subs, should be used in order to level Axe Mercenary faster. I know it is easier to find a team with Spear Mercenary and I might go with it, but I rather go with Axe Mercenary altogether due to the amount of time I have to play this game each day.

So my question is how do I build and if you may, tell me any and all skill subs that may help me out with killing monsters, please.
    The fastest way imo to level axe merc solo is to take pet muse subs with ruby + doc subs. IM, regen yourself. Power Ballad pet, taunt enemy and you'll tear through them. Pick the highest level pure physical enemy you can tank effectively for more efficient exp gain. With HA+Shield+Better Blocker you can go for enemies almost 10+ lvls higher than you as long as they don't have magic skills. If you happen to have equip Robe or DC, you can even go for pure magic mob if you really want to.

Other than that (for solo), Martyr Arts, Hunter Instincts, or Close Combat are your best second choices.

You can also sac some axe points and max windmill, circle, and mock. Just carry a spear around and you can be an effective part-time tank with just that. Then go solo in other times.
    IGN: Est

41 Thief, 46 Muse, 41 Doc, 46 Alchemy

im using solo aspd merc (dagger + lash out)

only need Lv11 thief and Lv18 BM

skill? only shield skill (better blocker)

i got 42 unused skill point (in lv30) that would be usefull for another jobs if it allocated for HA and SHIELD equiping skills.
    Last edited by Arwnipss; May 3rd, 2015 at 01:49 PM.