Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here you have some tools and advice that may help you out

Default Here you have some tools and advice that may help you out

WinVista/7 has some problems with it but if u run as administrator it runs mostly well. This looks like the game is not properly installed and/or security software is locking down the file. When playing AO try to disable security software only leave the Firewall on.

I suggest the following:

To know your specs download Belarc Advisor or Everest Home edition. Also you can download PC Wizard from www.cpuid.com, there they have CPU-Z (ID your CPU) and GPU-Z or Hardware Monitor to check temperature and stuff and finally Sandra is another great free system analyzer. Have your video card drivers (ATI & nVidia) updated, have at least 2008 Ver of DirectX 9 or better. Would be also good to have your ChipSet (MoBo), Processor drivers up to date: AMD, VIA & Intel. For other manufacturers the System Analyzers will tell you the brand, then just Search for the drivers, if you have an unknown device(s): you can use Unknown Device Identifier.

2) Start -> Run -> cmd press Enter/Intro and run 'chkdsk C: /f /x' on all partitions (replacing C: with the letters of your partitions also called Hard Drive Units, just open 'My PC' to see them).

3) Make sure you have a good Firewall and is correctly configured (Video info).

4) Clean your Registry: CCleaner, ERUNT (NTREGOPT is the cleaner, ERUNT will make a copy of your Registry in case it gets corrupted), COMODO System Cleaner & Advanced System Care. Use them all.

5) WinSock XP Fix 1.2 will help you restore registry key for Winsock, use this if you have communications problems. Don't use File Sharing software while playing AO, leave your Internet connection completely free for AO.

And you must be above the recommended system requirements to play AO. Make sure you don't have virus/spyware/rootkits and other malware. Usually Flash Sticks infect PCs on insertion, specially if you have inserted in a Internet Café.

Good download sites: filehippo.com & download.com
    lvl 8X ANI Prelude FTW
    http://forum.subagames.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=104&dateline=12751567  52

This really needs a Sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Joymus View Post
    This really needs a Sticky.
    Done .
    Deivynson Molina 3/21/2011 6:28 PM
    Hello sir good afternoon GMs. above all a cordial greeting.

Mr. Vroom look at online ace server prelude ah I missed the Respert and insults to my mother because I please have some respect as todos.tengo in my possession the stored image of the chat where I was assaulted Verval

Thx for the Sticky

The memory could not be read error message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, probably is a memory (RAM) access problem, here is a way to test your memory, is very effective, the program is Microsoft Memory Diagnostics, don't worry even it is from MS it's a few of the good programs: http://www.box.net/shared/2d88k5sgz1, burn the iso on a CD, the instructions are in the .doc file but easy and very effective config keys are: 'T' to run the extended test set (11 tests instead of 7), only with this set is possible an effective detection, then change the memory map to the extended version for thorough scan with the following commands (type in order the keys): 'P', 'M', press the key of 'Advanced Options', then 'Change Memory Map', then 'Extended Memory Map', then press 'X' thrice (to come bak to the Main Screen) and finally 'P' to Start the test. Let it pass twice or thrice to confirm the error location. After the passes you want allow just press 'M', key of 'Advance Option' and 'View error by Memory Module', if this can't show you the module, turn off your PC, unplug the power cable and test individually all memory modules to locate the defective memory module, if the individual test doesn't shows any errors the problem is your MoBo (Mother Board, it can't address 1 or more memory locations).

Check that you don't have a "crowded" (lots of processes loaded) memory.

If you have updated you ATI Video Drivers and you see the image moved to the left
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This happened to me on 1280x720, while my Destop was at 1360x768, so what I did was very simple: I just changed my desktop to 1280x720 and logged in to the character selection screen, you don't need to go further, just logout and you can now change your desktop to 1360x768, the game image will work OK.
    lvl 8X ANI Prelude FTW
    http://forum.subagames.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=104&dateline=12751567  52

Advising people who don't know how to diagnose simple problems to open up their computer and pull out their RAM with no precursory warnings of static discharge or description of what RAM looks like: surefire winner.

Also, to people actually following this thread: be extremely careful with registry cleaners and always back up your data before using one. There are times when they can cause much more harm than good and should only be used if you've exhausted other possibilities of why your machine is running slowly.
    Last edited by JOHNSON A FARTSHIRE; March 30th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Meh, I dont trust registry cleaner programs. Since I know what to look for anyways, I do it myself, that way i know EXACTLY what has been changed. :/

But yeah, pretty sound advice, hit pretty much everything I woulda touched upon.

Some things to add perhaps....

1)Defragment your hard drive on occasion. (I do it once a week, some people may view that as excessive though. I recently did a run of 3 weeks without running one, and I have noticed a slight slowdown until I defragged, so Id suggest that you do it, you may get a slight performance increase. Not sure of the way to access it in Vista/7, but in xp it will be Start->All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Defragmenter. There are programs out there that are better for defraging, but im not sure which ones I would suggest.

2)In regards with drivers, as already mentioned, Video card and chipset drivers (pretty much your motherboard drivers for the non-computerliterate out there.). You may also want to check for sound card drivers as well.

3)When doing registry changes, backup the registry. When doing driver changes, keep ahold of the older drivers in case you run into an issue and need to roll em back.

4)In regards to handling memory and other internal components, you SHOULD discharge yourself of electrical charge by touching a grounded object ahead of time (I have a heater near my PC< the old pipe heater, so I use that). It would also be wise to grab by the edges that dont have contacts as well as trying not to touch the chips on the surface.

5)Now and then check your fans for dust and grime buildup. Remove buildup with a pointed object (well I use a toothpick to do it anyways.). Removing the buildup will help with cooling performance, and cooler chips run better.

Basically alot of what you can do to improve performance is just simple, basic maintainance.

I will be back in a bit to post some more stuff, which will be edited into this post.
    <br>

@MELOVETURDS: you're just a kid for the way you reason so is OK that you show so little respect just because I criticized your memory tester (Memtest86) and come to criticize my post as no good, next time, ask how good the Registry cleaners I suggested are, don't write of what you don't know nothing about. And nobody can catch fire by changing memory modules, don't write nonsense.

@Demyx: well you could have also asked instead of criticize the Registry cleaners I suggested: All of them do a good work, even better if you register the 'Advanced System Care' (does a deeper and better registry scan), no colateral damagae, I've made sure of this since I use them in my PC regularly and in every PC I service, so I use them all the time and I wouldn't had posted here if I didn't had use them myself on my PC first, the same for the rest of the suggested software. I know that some Registry cleaners do damage software including Windows I have tested some on my PC and had to reinstall Windows because of it or restore the Registry from a previous date with ERUNT (suggested). These cleaners have added value cleaning temp files and unnecessary .log and .txt files, also immunizes your PC for infections, disables known malware to install and blocks dangerous websites.

As for the handling of PC parts, well, if you adventure into a PC is because you know what you're doing, common sense would tell you that is not a good idea to follow a suggestion in a forum from a stranger if you don't have the experience to tell if that suggestion is sound. If you have taken the most basic class on PC maint. the recommendation is always to wear an anti-static wrist wrap, floor and to touch a grounded metal surface before proceeding, this is that basic that everybody opening a PC should know, if you don't know how to handle the internals of a PC well, then you just don't do it and call someone who can, as I wrote, is common sense. But the recommendation is valid since some people don't use it.

As for drivers the only ones I have experience problems with is with nVidia drivers, old cards won't work well with new drivers so you need to test up to which version the drivers are good to update to, despite what the dumb nvidia driver selector tells you, as before, I speak out of (bad) experience, that's one of the reasons why I prefer ATI VCs, my main reason is their design architecture.

I have Google search the Internet and never found a better defragger than PerfectDisk, I have even searched in download.com, is the winner BY FAR, and it gets improved constantly. Windows defragger is fast and efficient... for a few days, and there're parts of the disk or system files that will never get defragged, PerfectDisk makes a boot-defrag to access these protected areas, it even re-orders them and other Windows system files, to speed up boot and start of apps, has a usage analyzer, duplicate file finder and defrags with little free space on a given partition, and the best of all, is blazing fast!

The dust addition is needed, thx for that.
    Last edited by Technopredator; March 31st, 2010 at 09:26 AM.
    lvl 8X ANI Prelude FTW

@technopredat: No offense meant. Yeah, the whole antistatic wristband and stuff is recommended, but when you dont have access to one at the moment, you can just keep in contact with a grounded object. Yeah, old cards dont always like the new drivers either, hence why i always keep a driver compendium. Maybe I will check out one of the registry programs in the future, i dunno yet. I do agree with perfectdisk though, its a good program to have.

And i posted that touching parts precaution because we all know there are people that will try it just because they can because they have a lack of common sense in they fact they shouldnt mess around with what they don't know.
    <br>

Yes Techno, me advising people to back up their registry before using any registry "cleaner" is in any way meant as a slight to you. Keep up with the delusions.

And interpreting "surefire winner" as me saying people will catch on fire is a comedy goldmine. Please, keep posting.
    Last edited by JOHNSON A FARTSHIRE; March 31st, 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MELOVETURDS View Post
    ... and should only be used if you've exhausted other possibilities of why your machine is running slowly.
    That my friend can only come from a noob tech, who doesn't know very well how to optimize a Windows PC. And I did supply means to buck-up the Registry

PC parts handling, OK, the advice is valid since some people don't use common sense.

Surefire, a honest mistake, and don't worry I'll keep posting all that I want.
    lvl 8X ANI Prelude FTW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast